Author Topic: Edward Hill and Eleanor (?) of Bromley St Leonards and East Ham. Brick wall help  (Read 223 times)

Offline SamuelF992

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I need help with a brick wall that's been bugging me for ages. Edward Hill married Eleanor Penry (widower) at St Mary, Bromley St Leonards in 1801. Both are listed OTP. I can't find a record for Eleanor's first marriage. When I look at Bromley St Leonards baptisms for Eleanors there's an Eleanor Cullimore in 1767, and Eleanor Briggs in 1780, which both could be possibilities. I couldn't find any Penrys born to an Eleanor between 1791-1801 so I don't think she had any children in her first marriage.

Edward is listed in the 1841 census as living with his son Thomas Hill on Balaam Street, Plaistow working as an ag lab. His age in this census is given as 64 and him as being born out of county.

Any help finding anything more on either of these would be really appreciated as I've been banging my head against it for ages. Eleanor and Edward's children were: Lydia, Charles, James, Mary, Maria, Thomas.

Best wishes
Samuel
2nd generation - Fawcett, Elsbury, Sanders, Aldridge
3rd - as above, Hutchison, Babb, Enticott, Edwards
4th - as above, Turner, Bater, Marshall, Webb, Chick, Cottey, Tozer, Rowland
5th - as above, Broomfield, Fry, Wood, Clark, Baker, Boyland, Lane, Bryant, Pearce, Carey, Bailey, Freeman, Hill

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Hill and Eleanor (?) of Bromley St Leonards and East Ham. Brick wall help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 11:43 GMT (UK) »
earlier post on Eleanor's maiden name
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=787865.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Hill and Eleanor (?) of Bromley St Leonards and East Ham. Brick wall help
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 23 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Eleanor Hill was also buried at Plaistow .
Ellen Hill  2.4.1837 born 1765.

So more likely the Cullimore one.Although tracking the family down it does look like she married a at St Martin Outwich 30 Dec 1791 to a John Roberts.
Her father William a Dyer had a PCC Will 1769 giving each of the children £50 -Anna,Sarah,Mary Eleanor and James. James joined the Navy and died leaving £20 to his sister Eleanor Roberts 1792.
Mother Mary married a Thomas Hacker widower 13.11.1778 and died at Bromley 22.8.1799.
Mr Roberts cold have died and then Eleanor gone onto to marry Mr Penry.
The only child I can find for the Roberts couple is Jane born 1791 and bapt 1.1.1792

It's not Roger as I found his Will and no mention of a wife.

Ciderdrinker

Offline SamuelF992

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 23 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker,

Wow great work. I had seen that Ellen Hill burial and was unsure about it given the shortened name, but it does seem the most likely to be her you're right.

Yes there could be a husband before both Penry and Edward. Bad run of luck for her. I guess it's also possible of course that Eleanor wasn't actually born in Bromley and was just living there when she married Edward? I guess without more information we can't know though.

I'll research the Cullimore line for now. Thanks very much
Samuel
5th - as above, Broomfield, Fry, Wood, Clark, Baker, Boyland, Lane, Bryant, Pearce, Carey, Bailey, Freeman, Hill

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 23 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Two burials on freereg might be worth a look, sadly no ages or other detail.
One other in the north of England.

Luke PENRY   Burial   24 May 1797   Surrey   Newington :
St Mary : Parish Register

David PENRY   Burial   14 Jul 1799   Essex   Walthamstow :
St Mary the Virgin : Parish Register

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline SamuelF992

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 23 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Good finds! The one in Walthamstow is particularly near. Thank you