Author Topic: accident at sea October 1940  (Read 152 times)

Offline meekhcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
accident at sea October 1940
« on: Wednesday 08 November 23 13:20 GMT (UK) »
George Sidney Jopling was the 2nd Engineer aboard the SS Heliopolis.
He signed up under a T124 agreement 29 June 1940 and was discharged 12 November 1940.
On 17 October 1940 he was hospitalised in Dundee Infirmary and remained there until 14 December 1940 after an accident.
The Heliopolis had been purchased by the Admiralty in March 1940 as a target ship for the Fleet Air Arm. The "Family story" is that the ship was actually hit in error during practise.
I have been unable to find out anything about the incident.
I have searched ADM 267/126 at TNA which holds various reports and battle reports for 1940 but unfortunately the file ends in September 1940. It does mention Heliopolis but refers to an incident in July of 1940.
I have also contacted Dundee Infirmary archives but they say they can not release any details as they operate the 100 year rule.
GSJ died in 1955. Any Family that may have been referred to in the Hospital records have also since passed away.
My husband is the only living Family member that would have known George, his Grandfather.

I have two precise questions.

1. Should my husband be able to obtain the Hospital records under the FOIA?

and

Can anyone suggest where else we may find answers to this query?

I originally posted a query on the following Forum which will give further detail.
./viewtopic.php?t=789

Thank you