Author Topic: What happened?  (Read 424 times)

Offline Andy Grimley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened?
« on: Wednesday 08 November 23 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
In November/December 1863,the Irish media contained lengthy reports of a “trial” where jurors had to decide the fate of three children,Emily, Sarah and Elizabeth Maguire.Their dying father,in his death bed,signed a will,instigated by his local Dublin Catholic priest,Fr.Keon,to the effect that they be brought up in the Catholic tradition,despite their mother,Jane( nee Lambert) and her parents( in whose home the family were resident) being Protestant and the children already having attended Protestant Sunday school.The case became a significant event,attracting much coverage,as it called into question the motives of the priest and, by extension,the influence of the Church.The trial proved to have an inconclusive verdict,with the jury split on sectarian lines and refusing to reach any sort of majority verdict.
In early 1864,there was much activity and fund raising from prominent Irish Catholics from many backgrounds to support Fr.Keon and his actions,but all documentation seems to dry up from that date.
So…what happened to the Maguire children,one of whom,Sarah,emerges later in 1889 in Manchester to become my wife’s great great grandmother.? How might I find out?
Andy Grimley

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: What happened?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Earlier post with replies on same family
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=877739.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Andy - duplicate posts result in wasted time & effort.  I had found the following as Rosie posted the link to your other post!!   You are already aware of the replies on your duplicate post as you have responded

Did Sarah marry George Edward Tolley?  Was her father Michael Maguire occ brass moulder?  If so - she married in All Saints Chorlton on Medlock which is not a Catholic church & her sister Emily A Maguire was a witness

What religion were the children brought up as?

Was Sarah buried as a Catholic or non-Catholic
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 November 23 11:03 GMT (UK) »
In Ireland, marriage registrations normally have or had the name of the father of each of the couple and his trade or profession. Would Sarah's marriage registration have this in England?
Jane Maguire "entrusted the children to a charitable organisation" - in other words she put them in an orphanage or orphanages, as often tragically happened when the breadwinner died. So you might try the Protestant and Catholic orphanages. The Catholic ones would be through edmundrice.eu, probably; the Protestant ones were places like the Bird's Nest and the Earl of Meath's Reformatories; I assume the Church of Ireland archives will find you those. Since Jane was Protestant, the Protestant orphanages would be a better dart. However, if she emigrated to England, would it be possible that she put the children in orphanages near her in England?
There may also be court records; I don't know how to find these but assume that someone here will know how, if they survive.

Offline Andy Grimley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 November 23 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Abhanliath,
Thank you for taking time to respond.I also thought of orphanages,and you have opened a door with your knowledge.My initial thoughts are to look at Protestant institutions in the Dublin area( I have a thought that in one of the many media stories around the case,Newcastle was mentioned) as you recommend.There May be a potential move to Liverpool later in the 1860s,since Jane remarried there,to a mariner.The children would have been 13,11 and 9 by 1871,when Jane gave birth to a girl in London and can later be traced to Ramsgate,Kent.The trail goes cold then…..

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 November 23 18:35 GMT (UK) »
What year are they in Ramsgate? Have you tried later UK censuses?
I assume you've tried the Mormon site familysearch.org? The Mormons, for their own reasons, decided to retrospectively baptise many generations of people worldwide to save them from the burning fires of Hell (or wherever it is the Mormon god consigns the unbaptised), so they have excellent records, though their database is so huge that sometimes it's not easy to find people in it.
I've found that at times, when a search within the site doesn't work for me, I can just enter the name in quotes in a search (Google is often good for this) with "familysearch" after it, for instance

"George Montescue" New York marriage familysearch.org

(that's a random choice, dunno if it would work, but it gives the idea).
Another thought, and I don't want to send you down too many wrong tracks, but Maguire is sometimes spelled otherwise, and if the children's name was being spelled by a stranger it might have been spelled McGuire, for instance.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 November 23 19:15 GMT (UK) »
There is lengthy information about the family in later years on the earlier thread , Abhanliath.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=877739.9
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 November 23 12:24 GMT (UK) »
It's all a bit confusing. It would be nice to have it organised by date. But I'll just unsub from this now… I'm probably not helping much!