Author Topic: help with maiden name  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: help with maiden name
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 November 23 08:07 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know if Jane ??? Lived or  Came to live in Scotland . Her daughter Elizabeth Ann Burns and her Husband Samuel Cowan came to Scotland   From newry Ireland sometime after 1880 and lived there until they died . I don’t know wher Elizabeth was buried . I’m assuming it would be Glasgow as she died in Glasgow . I’m not sure if her grave stone would have her mother’s James maiden name on it . 
Thank you

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 November 23 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Jane

Online oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 November 23 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Did she have children born in Scotland?
If so you could look up their birth record which would tell you her maiden name.

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 November 23 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Here’s the full page from the Register for handwriting comparison.

I’m wondering McCrum which is feasible for a Newry surname appreciating it doesn’t fit that well with the lettering used by the Registrar.
Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 November 23 17:04 GMT (UK) »
McCrum seems feasible with the last letter as a cramped 'm'.  It's very difficult.

Do you know any of her siblings that could be followed up?

Gadget.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 November 23 20:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a discrepancy on Eliza's father's name isn't there. Her marriage states father was Joseph Burns but death reg shows William.

I don't know if you have a subs to Ancestry. There is a family tree here www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/89545734/person/46596164246/facts  This shows the family of Joseph Burns and Jane McCrum. Three girls showing for them:

Sarah Jane b. 10 Sept 1837 (baptised 25 Sept 1837), Grallaghgreenan Townland, Rathfriland, County Down

Margaret b. 12 Feb 1840 (baptised 27 March 1840) Grallaghreenan Townland, Rathfriland, County Down

Eliza Ann b. 12 Aug 1842 (baptised 16 Aug 1842), Grallaghgreenan Townland, Rathfriland, County Down

Also mention of a brother, Joseph Burns, born 24 Sept 1845 Tullyquilly.

No images included but source cited for all the entries is http://rootsireland.ie

No further details given but you could consider comparing notes with the tree owner?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 November 23 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica that’s really interesting . I will have a look at this .

Yes there is a discrepancy with Elizabeth fathers name from her marriage to Samuel Cowan and her death . Marriage states Joseph  burns and death states William burns as father . I feel like I’m always hitting a brick wall with this one. However maybe have the first possible break through with the ancestry post .
Thanks for your help everyone

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 November 23 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the discrepancy in father's forename, if it is a choice between what Elizabeth Anne herself said at the time of her marriage in 1865 and what her daughter said at the time of her mother's death some 60 years later, I know which I'd pick. I've looked at the 'rootsireland' transcript of the 1842 baptism for Eliza Anne Burns, it took place in the 3rd Rathfriland Presbyterian Church, and it looks promising.  The address is 'Grallagh', which the person with the Ancestry tree has interpreted to mean Grallaghgreenan.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 November 23 08:46 GMT (UK) »

Thank you Monica that’s really interesting . I will have a look at this .

Just out of interest, with the two townlands quoted by MonicaL in reply #14, here are the townlands of Grallaghgreenan and Tullyquilly.

https://www.townlands.ie/down/iveagh-upper-lower-half/drumballyroney/ballybrick/grallaghgreenan/

https://www.townlands.ie/down/iveagh-upper-upper-half/drumgath/drumgath/tullyquilly/

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4750276#map=12/54.2199/-6.2310

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo