Author Topic: Judah Cohen from AMSTERDAM in mid 1700s/early 1800s  (Read 1202 times)

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Judah Cohen from AMSTERDAM in mid 1700s/early 1800s
« on: Thursday 09 November 23 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm researching a Judah Cohen who I believe may have been from Amsterdam. He lived in Hackney (Middlesex then) and in the early 1800s had a premises at Great St Helens in the City of London, with his brother Edward, listed as ship brokers. He was married to Esther. At the same time was another Judah Cohen whose brother was Hyman, who lived in London (buried in Herne Hill London) and had a lot of business (yes unfortunately slaves too) in the West Indies. He was married to Grace. I am trying to work out if they are related, so whether the one who was Esther's husband was from Amsterdam too. Any thoughts/help I'd be extremely grateful.
Very many thanks, Colee

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Judah Cohen from AMSTERDAM in mid 1700s/early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 23 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon
There is a Judah Cohen who married at the Great Synagogue in 1804 to Esther Moses who looks to be your man. Info from Boyds marriage index.

(1818 Judah Cohen 17 Lemon St Whitechapel had 2 candlesticks taken .Trial Old Bailey against Abraham Moses) Is he yours?

Baptism for daughter Annette 5.11.1824 of 18 Lambs Conduit St merchant born 6th Jan at St Bride Fleet St.
A newspaper announcement on A* ,the details I can't access gives a death in 1834 of City Rerrace formerly Trafalgar Place . He is given as born 1782.
As you know the London Gazette has the brothers dissolving their partnership 1833.

1841 census Crown St  Shoreditch
Esther 53 Ind y
Diana 26 y
Eliza 24
Rebecca 20
However the 1861 census Grover St ,next to Carpenters Arms has an Esther Cohen widow Indep 72 born Holland. There is a possible death Dec 1868 Bethnal Green age 79
No sign of them 1851.
There is no sign of a Will for Judah but there is a Death Duty Record available from the National Archives.IR27/43
The other Judah dies 1838 Lambeth and does leave a PCC Will 1839 detailing the family.He is born 1768 in Amsterdam.He married Grace Gomes de Costa out in Jamacia 9.7.1794 .

But back to your family and Brother Edward
He married Mary Ann Girtin widow 14.9.1811 at St Mary Islington .They have a daughter Isabella Hesther 2.4.1813 of Nelson St and son Edward 4.4.1818 at the same church. Matilda 16.3.1815
 Nelson terrace .William born 31 Dec 1818 at Suffolk place gentleman. And Francis Charles 27.6.1824 Upper Street
His  Freedom of the City of London admission papers are interesting.
There are 2 documents bundled together.
His original admission 26 Feb 1816 as a member of the Guild of Scriveners and then again 50.8.1835. The latter is keen to state he is a Christian born in England and from Towert St Fowkes Buildings.
Fingers crossed this is the right Edward Cowen .He is 50 in 1835 and on both his father is given as Jacob Cohen of Whitechapel Road.
That's the last I seem to see of him.

So Jacob Cohens in london
1798 Land Redemption tax Portsaken Ebenezer Square
1808 witness at Old Bailey against Morgan Jones of stealing a pint pot off John Steward of the Coopers Arms.Jacob is a slop seller  at Rosemary Lane.

possible PCC Will 1815 Whitchapel Road Gentleman
To my wife Springze? Cohen £120 and her own wearing apparel in lieu of my dower
£25 to Great Synagogue in memory of late wife Esther
To present wife,s son Soloman £16 10 shillings
His picture and Esther's and a pair of pearl earrings to granddaughter Fanny Cohen
The rest to sons Judah Cohen,Edward Cohen and Godrey Alexander Cohen
Made 18th Nov 1815
The sons Exectors.

Marriage Grt Synagogue 1813 Sprinsi Leo

I can't see a granddaughter Fanny but everything else adds up.

What do you think?

Ciderdrinker

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 23 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi ciderdrinker

Wow thank you so much for taking the time, what a huge cache of info you gathered so quickly! A lot of it is familiar, but there is some wonderful new stuff too.

It's extremely interesting that you found another brother, Godfrey Alexander. His daughter Anne was baptised as an adult in 1837, and the baptism record states that she was a Jewess by birth. It seems some of Godfrey's children ended up in Australia, there is quite a lot of info on Ancestry by that branch of the family.

Godfrey married his wife Frances in the Great Synagogue in London in 1808. One of the trees on Ancestry has Issachar Ha Cohen as Godfrey's father, it's not necessarily correct. But I've noticed 'Ha' added to quite a few of the older Cohen records I've seen, do you (or anyone!) know what it means/signifies?

I will go through all of your info carefully (thank you again SO much) and see where it leads, and what it is possible to prove at this point. What is interesting is that Matilda seems to be a family name. It is also in the 'other' Judah's family. And one of the Esthers you found (I think I saw that record too) seems to have been born in Holland. So the hypothesis that both Judahs came from Amsterdam I think still stands for now. What do you think?!

Best, Colee

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 23 17:42 GMT (UK) »
This is very interesting - an Old Bailey record which mentions Godfrey going to Mansel Street. This was the business address of the 'other' Judah and Hyman Cohen. It could be a coincidence that these 2 Judahs knew each other and did business together, it doesn't necessarily mean they were related, but I guess it's a strong possibility.

MR. COHEN. I went to the house of one Jeremiah Nathanson, in Mansel-street, Goodman's-fields, and there found a quantity of amber; he told me where he got it - I never made the prisoner any promise; I did not see him till he was examined.

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 November 23 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Ooh and the Hirams Lodge, Freemasons register for 1805 (both Judah and Edward are members too but sadly it doesn't list their addresses - maybe the entry in another year will) shows that Godfrey Alexander Cohen and an Isaac Samuel both live at Mansell Street. So I think that irrevocably links the 2 Judahs? But does it prove they are related??

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 23 11:14 GMT (UK) »
It really does look like this Jacob has to be Judah, Edward and Godfrey's father, which is highly significant. With his Hebrew name Issachar I wonder if it's possible to trace him further back, to Amsterdam maybe. Does anyone have any thoughts about what the name of his second wife seems to be, it's written on the PCC attached. Maybe she's Dutch, and maybe it's possible to find a marriage record of theirs.

Very many thanks for any ideas!

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 23 11:50 GMT (UK) »
And I've just found another Judah Cohen, London furniture dealer, born in the next generation to Judahs 1 and 2, in 1819. He is on the 1861 census - wife Rachael, 4 daughters Esther, Sarah, Rachael, Sarah Ann.

Is he connected I wonder - can the name be that common?!

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 November 23 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
Yes I've seen an index of Jacob's second marriage.
Boys Marriage Index again
Great synagogue 1813
Jacob Cohen and Sprinsi Leo

I'm guessing she was a widow and already had a son Solloman from her first marriage.
Unfortunately I'm not getting anywhere with finding records of the Great synagogue on line.
So nothing extra there and births and burials in the Jewish Community are tough too.

As you say lots for the third brother Godfrey Alexander Cohen .
I hadn't thoughtt of Freemasons Records
The Moira lodge which must be in London has this 9 Feb 1806
Judah Cohen gentleman New Square
Edward  gentleman New Square
Godrey Alexander  gentleman New Square.

But it is the Addresses which strike a bell .They are all in a circle around Goodman Fields.
So we have Mansell St on the left with Judah and Hiram and on the right Lemon St with you Judah Cohen
South running parallel but below the Square was Rosemary Lane where Jacob appeared with his stolen candlesticks. And of course the Whitechapel Road is just North.
Prescot St is the South side of the Square where we have the 'other' Judah Cohen on the London  land tax records 1796-1805.

There is a Jacob Cohen in 1794 of Alie Street Goodman's Fields late Hackney Road linen draper on his 2nd and 3rd call for debt in the London Gazette. This is the North of Goodmans Fields connecting Mansell st and Lemon st.
And the Land Tax records give us Jacob Cohen Whitechapel New Martin St 1770-1786
                   1798 Ebenezer Square Portsaken C of L
                   1810 Somerset St Cof L
                   1817 Petticoat Lane C of L
Less sure of the C of L stuff

Edward 1813 Nelson Terrace Islington and 1817 Suffolk Place.

It all seems to fit with them knowing each other very well and it just seems to much of a coincidence that they aren't connected.
There is a tree on Genenet which doesn't look great but does give Judah and Hiram parents as
Mordicai Levie Cohen born Holland 1740-24.8.1830 London and
Rachel bat Coenrad Blits 1732-1810 London from Amsterdam.
On it Mordicai has siblings Soloman Levi,Joel and JACOB.

It would be about the right time frame but there are no dates.
The area the family are supposedly from is Rousel de Mierden Noord Brabant.

I've tried the main Dutch website but I can't find either family but obviously I don't speak Dutch .

But surely there has to be a connection.

Ciderdrinker

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 November 23 17:09 GMT (UK) »
FYI