Author Topic: Judah Cohen from AMSTERDAM in mid 1700s/early 1800s  (Read 1201 times)

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Judah Cohen from AMSTERDAM in mid 1700s/early 1800s
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 December 23 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks Steve - that is the potential relative of the Judah I'm focused on (as I mentioned in my DM back in November).

I don't suppose you (or anyone?) knows how to access any records in Kingston, Jamaica.. So another interesting record I came across was a newspaper announcement from 1825 (attached) about the death of the eldest son of Whitechapel Rd Judah, Asker Judah Cohen. Maybe there are records in Kingston which provide info about why he was there and any other family info.

Thank you for any more thoughts - yes I'm still going on this one.. also waiting for GEDmatch info to see if the 2 sides of the family are related :)

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 24 February 24 11:06 GMT (UK) »
So I eventually tracked down Judah's death duty info from the National Archives, but I'm not proficient enough with that register's info to be able to really understand the significance of what it's saying. I will attach here the link, and would really appreciate any help in interpreting it. Very many thanks in advance for any help.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/recordcopy/RC6934670-04fe0476-b5fb-4b59-8e71-815dd9e633aa

but in case that doesn't work it says:

Sum sworn under: £200

Esther Cohen ('gone away'), under the column 'kindred' I think it says Relief and 3 separate dates

3 l 4 May/37
4 l 5 Apr/38
5 l 12 May/39

then I think 'discharged' 27/7 maybe 39? (ie 27 July 1839?).

Or I could attach a screenshot of it if that helps.

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 March 24 14:49 GMT (UK) »
so.. interestingly this is what it all means:

not relief but relict, which means widow; Judah’s estate was valued at under £200; and the 3 dates given with an 'l' next to them mean letters that were sent to Esther the widow on those dates. Finally the reference ‘Lr. 2717/39 is to a letter received by the Stamp Office in 1839 (which sadly won't exist anymore), possibly in response to the last letter sent to the address at City Road.

So such is the nature of this sort of research, a rather long drawn out process of getting the death duty reveals not a lot. But of course in a sense the revealing of not a lot is significant in itself. It confirms that Esther moved after Judah's death, and I think we found her possibly elsewhere on a census, so that fits with that.

What I have now also discovered though is that Judah's nephew Edward was the original merchant who with Greverus Kleinwort set up the predecessor to Kleinwort Benson, when it was Kleinwort Cohen. He left a rather large fortune of £258,000, and no direct descendants to pass it on to as he didn't marry or have children as far as I have worked out. I have put in an order to view the will in Kew, so that should be interesting!