Author Topic: Judah Cohen from AMSTERDAM in mid 1700s/early 1800s  (Read 1200 times)

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Judah Cohen from AMSTERDAM in mid 1700s/early 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 November 23 17:21 GMT (UK) »
That's FASCINATING TreeSpirit, I hope it's the same Jacob but the dates fit!!

And Ciderdrinker, also absolutely wonderful help again, thank you so much :) How brilliant to look at the geography (seems so obvious now) to connect everyone. It was also interesting to look at the addresses of the other members of the Moira Lodge, there were a big number from Mansell St and Prescot St.

I am sure you're right that it is too much of a coincidence that they're not related, but I guess the definitive answers now may indeed lie in the Dutch records which I may attempt to look at.

I have sent a query to Synagogue Scribes about that 1813 marriage, as I guess Leo Sprinsi (this must be the name in Jacob's PCC, ie Sprinzi or Sprinsi) wasn't the bride, maybe her father. Maybe the original will show what her first name was.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 November 23 17:44 GMT (UK) »
A newspaper announcement on A* ,the details I can't access gives a death in 1834 of City Rerrace formerly Trafalgar Place . He is given as born 1782.

The Times - Thursday, Aug. 7, 1834

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 November 23 17:56 GMT (UK) »
MARVELLOUS!

Very definitely born in 1782 (so good to see the actual original source thank you) - I had to look up apoplexy - guess it could mean a number of things, but could have been a stroke. He was young :(

And the fact it was in The Times I guess also indicates that he must have had some standing, although it's amazing what used to get in the paper then..

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 November 23 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Another very interesting publishing connection:

Godfrey Alexander Cohen and Frances Jonas' daughter Esther (who was born in 1812) was married to Joseph Moses Levy who was the proprietor of the Sunday Times then launched the Daily Telegraph in 1855 (It had briefly been set up as the Daily Telegraph and Courier by Arthur Sleigh but didn't succeed so Joseph who had been doing the printing of it, took it over). Their son Edward was the editor and became a baron.

Joseph Moses Levy's father was Moses Lionel Levy who died in 1830 at Goodmans Fields :)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Me Again
Just managed to find a few newspaper details
London Evening Standard
11 March 1829 Mr Alterman A Joseph  of Devonport married Sarah Cohen second daughter of Judah Cohen esquire Trafalgar Place West Hackney Road

Wednesday last  by Rev Oppenheimer Mr JC Lyons Slater St married Miss Cohen daughter of Judah Cohen Esquire  Hackney London
The Albion 11.6.1832

Just in case you don't have them

Ciderdrinker

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Amazing, thank you so much Ciderdrinker, I didn't have either of those 2 daughters. That's very exciting. I've located Sarah and husband Joseph in the records, I can't see yet which daughter married JC Lyons but I'm sure it'll come to light quite easily. That's such brilliant new information :) I had just started to stall slightly, but you've jump-started it again!!

Other interesting things in the meantime I've discovered through Synagogue Scribes:

The 2nd marriage record of Jacob Issachar Cohen showed that the bride's name was Sprinsi (Shprintsa being her Hebrew name) her family name was Leo and she was the widow of Doctor Leib Kassel (or Cassel). She married Jacob Cohen on 9 Apr 1813 at The Great Synagogue in London.

Jacob's father's Hebrew name was Yehuda (Judah) Cohen and he was a privileged member of the Synagogue (I've copied that across, I'm not sure what it means but I've asked!). So that all chimes with the theory that the 2 Judahs were cousins, named after their grandfather.

Godfrey's Hebrew name was Gotchlik, I guess that's where Godfrey comes from (I thought it was a slightly odd non-Jewish sounding name). And one of his daughters Esther Eliyakum Goetshlik Cohen also had it in her name.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Jacob's father's Hebrew name was Yehuda (Judah) Cohen and he was a privileged member of the Synagogue (I've copied that across, I'm not sure what it means but I've asked!). So that all chimes with the theory that the 2 Judahs were cousins, named after their grandfather.

I’m not convinced yet that the 2 Judah’s shared the same grandfather.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judah_Cohen the other Judah’s grandparents have to be the following persons: https://www.dutchjewry.org/genealogy/ashkenazi/392.shtml 
i.e. one of their sons would have to be the father of your Judah, but there is no Issachar/Jacob listed.

Could it be that your Judah’s ancestors might have originated from Eastern Europe (based on a printing history)?

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you TreeSpirit for your continued help and interest. Soo good to probe and want to see proof to be satisfied, I do too!!

I had read the Wiki page before, but not the Dutch ancestry site. Yes Jacob isn't listed as one of the main sons, but I noticed that on Mordechai's marriage info it does mention a brother Jacob as witness, I'm not sure whether that might be the Joseph or a separate son, or why he isn't in the main list?

Mordechai Levie Cohen, birth 1728 Amsterdam
Married 3 Sep 1756 Amsterdam, dtb 735/80; witn.groom: brother Jacob Levie Cohen; witn.bride: m.Roosje Isaac.

It is interesting that Joel's record mentions an Alexander as guardian:guardian [father's cousin] Alexander Levie - ie another family name (Godfrey Alexander).

And I wonder if the 'Levie' here is the 'L' in Judah's son Edward's name.

There is also the very interesting excerpt you found on Jacob bringing Dutch typesetters from Amsterdam.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 17:12 GMT (UK) »
There is also the very interesting excerpt you found on Jacob bringing Dutch typesetters from Amsterdam.

But that doesn't prove automatically that he was Dutch too...