Author Topic: Looking for Info on Charles Mann Dawson (1889-1962) Violinist and runaway  (Read 130 times)

Offline briankaess

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Info on Charles Mann Dawson (1889-1962) Violinist and runaway
« on: Thursday 09 November 23 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for info on my Granduncle Charles Mann Dawson (1889-1962), b. near Topeka, Kansas, d. in Reno, Nevada He was a Violinist and runaway who toured the United States at least eight times annually at a young age, when he was reunited with his Dawson Family in Topeka in 1915. He trained in a musical course in Salt Lake City for three years, and also handled the big pipe organ of the Tabernacle in Salt Lake. He also toured Japan, Alaska and Canada, and elsewhere. He was a Bandmaster on a Japanese-American Steamer at the age of 14. Since he was a successful musician, I thought for sure there would be some sort of biography for him, perhaps in Utah, where he was trained. I was wondering if there was some sort of Mormon connection as well.
   Any help would be great,
    Brian

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Info on Charles Mann Dawson (1889-1962) Violinist and runaway
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 November 23 22:19 GMT (UK) »
His death certificate says he died 30 May 1962 in Sparks, Nevada at the Nevada State Hospital.  His usual occupation was listed as piano tuner.

There is a funeral notice here - https://www.newspapers.com/article/reno-gazette-journal/134916158/