Author Topic: Bessie CHISSOLM in Riddentrath/Reidstack, Fordyce  (Read 113 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bessie CHISSOLM in Riddentrath/Reidstack, Fordyce
« on: Friday 10 November 23 07:46 GMT (UK) »
My 6xgtgdmother, Bessie CHISSOLM marr John MORISON abt 1721 and had six children all in Riddentrath/Reidstack (same place) in Fordyce parish. She had at least three siblings, one being brother Donald CHISM (or CHISHOLM) who married Elspet RICHARDSON in 1714 (the others being John and Janet).

1)  CHISSOLM (and its variations) occasionally allides with CHIZZET (and its variations) in the same family but they seem to be distinct surnames in their own right. Is there any evidence that CHIZZET genuinely evolved into CHISSOLM, or vice versa, rather than the OPR clerk misunderstanding a relatively rare local surname in favour of a relatively common local surname?

2) Donald is a relatively uncommon forename in Fordyce. The only Donald CHISM I can find is Donald to Jon CHISOLME 21-7-1681 in Inverness. He had a brother John 29-9-1684, with maybe a Janet 12-8-1694. But no Bessie sister. Anyone got any hint of the Fordyce CHISHOLMs (or CHISSETs) having any association with any Inverness-shire CHISHOLMs?

There are various claims about this Inverness Jon CHISOLME being the XXth Chisholm of Comar and Erchless and/or a leader of men at Sheriffmuir and/or gdfather of a private in "Gen Francis Merion's Swamp Fox Brigade" in the US Revolutionary War. I doubt any but who knows? I've posted on the Inverness board to see if anyone there knows Inverness' Donald CHISHOLME in his own right.