Author Topic: Avarina Hopkins and Lewis Lewis  (Read 371 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Avarina Hopkins and Lewis Lewis
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 November 23 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.

I've had a look at both those records now, and the baptism record shows Avarina, daughter of David and Ann Hopkins in 1812, and the 1941 Census record shows Avarina with siblings and widowed mother Mary.

How would I know which, if either, are my ancestor?

There are no relationship indicators on the 1841 census so Avarina could be staying with other family.

You need to check the baptisms for children of David and Ann(e) at Llanfihangel Y Creuddyn around the same time as that of Avarina and try to locate them as well as David & Anne in 1841.  There is a possible burial for Anne in 1844 so David is likely to be showing as widowed in 1851.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 November 23 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Avarina Hopkins is in Middlesex in 1841 aged 25 working as a servant - The other Avarina I found appears to have married John Davies in 1847.  With such an unusual christian name there must be some family connection between the 2 entries

Piece  695
Book 3
Folio 28
Page  2
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 November 23 16:52 GMT (UK) »
If her parents were David & Ann they can possibly be found on the 1841

Piece 1374
Book 6
Folio 28
Page 17

A baptism for possible brother John b 1832 shows mother as Anne Jones
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 November 23 17:25 GMT (UK) »
possible baptism for Lewis in Llanychaiarn - which appears to be the place name attempted in 1871 census
3 Dec 1811 Lewis son of David & Mary Lewis of Bryncrwn

map here
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01srt/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 November 23 00:07 GMT (UK) »

There are no relationship indicators on the 1841 census so Avarina could be staying with other family.

Yes, this is a possible line of enquiry, or as Carole has said, if mine is the Avarina in Middlesex working as a servant (where two years later she marries, so seems more likely), then this Avarina with Mary and others could be a relation - I'll try to follow that trail.

You need to check the baptisms for children of David and Ann(e) at Llanfihangel Y Creuddyn around the same time as that of Avarina and try to locate them as well as David & Anne in 1841. 

Ok, so I found a baptism for children of David and Anne Hopkins, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn:
David 1810
Avarina 1812 (believed to be my ancestor)
Anne Hopkins 1815
Elizabeth 1817
Morgan 1820 (also a burial in 1820 :'( )
Jane 1821
Mary 1823
John 1832

No baptism, but a burial record for a Margaret Hopkins in 1842, age 16, in Llanfihangel y Creuddyn
No baptism for Sarah either, but a marriage record to John Loyd in 1848.

I had found a David & Anne in 1841 and their children Mary, Margaret, Sarah and John (Carole also posted this).

There is a possible burial for Anne in 1844 so David is likely to be showing as widowed in 1851.

David is then shown in 1851 as widowed, with young John, and a John and Sarah Loyd with a child, and an Ann Chandler and 4 children (I have found a marriage between an Ann Hopkins and Richard Chandler in 1839).

Sarah and John Loyd are still with David in 1861, with 5 extra children, so I feel they must all be connected with the David and Ann from 1841, the David Hopkins and Anne Jones from Mary's baptism in 1826 John's baptism in 1832...

Is all of the above quite enough to connect Avarina with that David and Ann(e) family?

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 November 23 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Avarina Hopkins is in Middlesex in 1841 aged 25 working as a servant - The other Avarina I found appears to have married John Davies in 1847.  With such an unusual christian name there must be some family connection between the 2 entries

Piece  695
Book 3
Folio 28
Page  2

Thanks for this Carole, I think the one in Middlesex is my ancestor, but I will try to follow the other family too, as there may be a connection, thank you for that!

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 November 23 00:44 GMT (UK) »
possible baptism for Lewis in Llanychaiarn - which appears to be the place name attempted in 1871 census
3 Dec 1811 Lewis son of David & Mary Lewis of Bryncrwn

map here
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01srt/

Thanks Osprey, that could be him...?
I will look for David and Mary Lewis, and possible siblings. It's a starting point anyway!

Lewis's baptism seems to be the only one listed in Llanychaiarn - would potential siblings be baptised anywhere else nearby, can someone with local knowledge tell me?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 November 23 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Llanychaiarn is 1 mile south of Aberystwyth.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 November 23 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Llanychaiarn is 1 mile south of Aberystwyth.

A few maybes but nothing concrete so far  ???