Author Topic: In Remembrance  (Read 562 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
In Remembrance
« on: Friday 10 November 23 15:33 GMT (UK) »
On this Armistice weekend, and in remembrance of those members of my and my husband's families, I was going to list them...when and where they died.  So, I started a list and came up with 18 names - I am sure if I started going into branches off the main 'trunk', I would find more.  However, I would just like to list the places of death/burial/memorial if I may, please.

They lie, or are remembered on memorials, in France, Belgium, Gallipoli, the Dardanelles, Greece, and Turkey.  The earliest recorded death was 2 February, 1915 and the latest 17 October, 1918.  Only a couple were in their late 20s/30, the others being from 18 to 26 years of age.  They were in the Army and Navy.

There are two I would like to name:
John Hugh Craven, died Sunderland in September 1927 "of wounds and affected by gas"
Jessie Carruthers Walker, who died in Glasgow 4 October, 1918 of the 'Spanish Flu', leaving a baby of just a few months. Both of these were as a direct result of the Great War.

There were more family members who served, but who were lucky enough to return home, including my husband's 2 grandfathers.

"Lest We Forget"

Thank you for reading this.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: In Remembrance
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 23 15:47 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather, Wilfrid/Wilfred Firth Appleyard died in WW1.  He has no known grave, but is commemorated at Thiepval.  He died on 7 October 1916 - Le Sars.  The Regiment's war diary states that 80 Officers and 217 Other Ranks lost their lives that day.

Private 26995, 11 Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 23 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, all we can do is to remember, we can’t say “ Thankyou “ in person ,nor show any other form of gratitude but Remembrance .

My father survived the First World War, and worked on the Merlin engines for planes in the second .
He spoke quite a bit of the cameraderie in the trenches, and the spirit of service, even by some dedicated scallywags!

The cream of the nation ,was one writer’s description of those ordinary men and lads who did extraordinary deeds and showed extraordinary bravery .
What a great loss.
And all they have is our remembrance .
We must never forget.
Viktoria.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 23 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Whenever I have been playing the organ for a Remembrance Sunday service I have this little reminder of my relations and their sacrifice, fixed to the music desk.

We will remember them
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 23 15:33 GMT (UK) »
A lovely memorial to Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry at Westhoek,
A Maple tree, in the centre of a round stone seat ,surrounded by a flat stone platform with shallow steps leading up to the seat.
At the junction of the roads past Nonnenbossen Wood towards Westhoek,over the Bellewaerde Ridge and Frezenberg Ridge.
Polygon Wood is a good landmark to get bearings from.
One of very very many  memorials in that area, not far from Ypres.

How very kind of you to remember.
Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 November 23 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou,I know Thiepval Memorial well and also The Menin Gate in Ypres , and probably a few  of the cemeteries mentioned.
They are so lovely and the atmosphere of calm serenity is wonderful.
A very proud family record of service.
Thanks again.
Viktoria.

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 November 23 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just got back from Belgium were I commiserated the Armistice at Ypres.

I have a large tree & a while a go I was playing with my tree & set up a spreadsheet to record the ones I have that dies in the 2 wars, I know have over 150.

The first to die was on the 14 September at Vendress. I also have a lot that have unknown graves with 16 remembered at Thieppval & when I look at the list & see that they are from deferent branches of the family but would have no idea they could be related but they could have met in passing.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 November 23 22:58 GMT (UK) »
You must be very proud John of your family members who served in both WW1.and WW2.

Somewhere on the Menin Gate will be a poppy ,for my father who served in WW1 ,but survived .A friend of my daughter ‘s places it there for me.
At his request his ashes were scattered on Hill 60.

The last time we went to Ypres for November 11 th, the shops were open and did not even close for the two minutes silence .
I later mentioned it to a staff member at the G,B on the square near the Cathedral, they did not seem to understand at all.

Thank you for your information and also for your family’s service in WW1.and WW2.
Viktoria.