Author Topic: Family of Mary Ann Jacob.  (Read 492 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Family of Mary Ann Jacob.
« on: Friday 10 November 23 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Just following on from my earlier post on Thomas William Jacob,im trying to get back further in his mothers family.
I think my 3xgreat gran was the Mary Jacob baptised on 6th April 1834 in Boughton under Blean,to James and Mary Ann.
James Jacob bapt Feb 28th 1802 Faversham,to James and Mary Ann,married Mary Ann Smith April 15th 1826 Selling.
James Jacob bapt Feb 7th 1768 Chilham,to Robert and Mary,married Mary Ann Rickard May 8th 1791 Faversham.
Robert Jacob bapt Oct 16th 1709 Faversham,to Miles and Mary,married Mary Ann Pierce Feb 9th 1746 Boughton under Blean.
A Miles Jacob married Mary Abbott Nov 22nd 1708 St Georges,Canterbury.

Its at this point that im a bit stuck.I can find two Miles Jacob born in the right time frame.One on May 15th 1678 Hawkhurst,and a Milles Jacob on April 4th 1671 Sellinge,to Richard and Judith.
Are there any resources available to help me confirm if Roberts parents were either of these,and if so,which one?
Also,any additional info on the earlier Jacobs,such as occupations etc.would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Mary Ann Jacob.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 23 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Assumption that Miles was a Carpenter at Folkestone and Hawkinge being closest would suggest that fellow.However presumably a Carpenter would have to have been trained akin to an apprenticeship.So the Age of the Sellinge chap would suggest him.
Don't envy you trying to break this one. Good Luck. :)
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 23 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.
The first one is Hawkhurst,which i think is more the Weald of Kent.Does the record say he was a Carpenter?

Nel.

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 23 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hawkinge @5k and Sellinge @10k are both fairly close to Folkeston.
It states Carpenter on the original of the Marriage register.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 23 10:44 GMT (UK) »
On Ancestry it says the birthpace for the Miles born 15th May 1678 was Hawkhurst,rather than Hawkinge.A Miles Jacob married Mary Abbott in Canterbury in 1708.This person i believe was my 7xgreat grandfather.I think the one born in Hawkhurst was the son of Robert Jacob and Mary de la Pierre,of Canterbury and Dover.
Most of these Jacobs were from Faversham,Boughton under Blean,Canterbury,dover,Folkstone,rye and surrounding villages,so the Hawkhurst birth has thrown me a bit.
I just need to try and establish whether the Miles who married Mary Abbott was the son of Robert and Mary,or Richard and Judith.
I cant find a marriage between a Richard Jacob and Judith,so i dont know who she was.
Does it state on the marriage certificate that the Miles who married Mary Abbott was a carpenter?

Many thanks.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 21:57 GMT (UK) »
This post didnt really progress very far,so i thought i would try and resurrect it.
Ive taken a look at some of the siblings of more recent generations,to see how the names compare to  those further back.This is what i found:

My great grandfather Thomas William Jacob,siblings Charlotte,Emma,William,Albert,Sarah and Charles.
My 2xgreat grandfather Thomas William Jacob,siblings Ellen Jacob,then Frederick,Emma,Sarah,William,Alice and James,baptised as Coppins.
My 3xgreat gran Mary Ann Jacob,her siblings James,William,Thomas and Richard.
My 4xgreat grandfather James Jacob,his siblings Sarah,Mary,Anna Maria,John,Rebecca,Susan,and William.
My 5xgreat grandfather James,siblings Robert,John,Mary,stephen,Thomas,George,Martha and Susannah.
My 6xgreat grandfather Robert Jacob,siblings William and Miles.
My 7xgreat grandfather Miles Jacob,siblings William,Ann and Richard.
My possible 8xgreat grandfather Robert Jacob,siblings Joane,Maria,John,Elizabeth,Katherine,Susan,Mary,Ann,Thomas,Richard and Margaret.
My possible 9xgreat grandfather Richard,siblings John,Ferdinando,Susan,Anna,Thomas,Robert,Mary and Elizabeth.

So there is quite a lot of the same names used over again,back beyond Miles,the son of Robert.Clearly,this proves nothing,but i just wondered what others think.

Nel.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Just following on from my earlier post on Thomas William Jacob,im trying to get back further in his mothers family.
My 3xgreat gran was the Mary Jacob baptised on 6th April 1834 in Boughton under Blean,to James and Mary Ann.
James Jacob bapt Feb 28th 1802 Faversham,to James and Mary Ann,married Mary Ann Smith April 15th 1826 Selling.
James Jacob bapt Feb 7th 1768 Chilham,to Robert and Mary,married Mary Ann Rickard May 8th 1791 Faversham.
Robert Jacob bapt Oct 16th 1709 Faversham,to Miles and Mary,married Mary Ann Pierce Feb 9th 1746 Boughton under Blean.
A Miles Jacob married Mary Abbott Nov 22nd 1708 St Georges,Canterbury.

Its at this point that im a bit stuck.I can find two Miles Jacob born in the right time frame.One on May 15th 1678 Hawkhurst,and a Milles Jacob on April 4th 1671 Sellinge,to Richard and Judith.
Are there any resources available to help me confirm if Roberts parents were either of these,and if so,which one?
Also,any additional info on the earlier Jacobs,such as occupations etc.would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 March 24 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Ive been having a look at the alternative Miles Jacob today,but still cant get very far.
There is a marriage for a Richard Jacob to a Julian Court,which is a bit like Judith,but thats all i can find.Its on Sept 27th 1683 in Doddington,near Faversham.Its after the 1671 birth of Miles.There is one son born to Richard and Julian,Amos,born in Doddington in 1685.Not really sure about that.
Theres quite a few baptisms for Richard Jacob in Kent that would fit,so its hard to know if any are him.Ive heard it suggested that my Jacobs might have been Hugenots,working in the Faversham Gunpowder industry,and seem to have travelled frequently between Faversham and Folkstone,sometimes baptising the same child in both towns,so that doesnt help.
My more recent ones do have strong links to Boughton under Blean,and ive found some other Jacobs further back in that area:

Avis bapt 11th Aug 1594.

Cirriack bapt 28th Nov 1595.

Margaret bapt 16th Oct 1597.

Edward bapt 7th Sept 1600.

Marie bapt 25th Sept 1603.

All to Cerriack.Whats intrigued me is my dad has a living cousin in Faversham,where he was born and bred,and still lives,called Avis.Ive always thought its an unusual name,so that could be significant.

If anyone can help me make sense of any of this,or link me to Cerriack,id be really grateful.

Lee. 

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 March 24 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Just a bit more,in addition to the last posting.

Mathew Jacob married Avis Tennacker on 1st Dec 1561 Boughton under Blean.They had several children baptised there,including an Avis.Theres also Cciriack bapt 8th Sept 1562,but no mother shown.I reckon hes probably a sibling of the others.

Lee.