Author Topic: Josiah Glew where did he end up?  (Read 225 times)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Josiah Glew where did he end up?
« on: Saturday 11 November 23 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Josiah Glew was born in Rogate, Sussex in 1828, son of joseph Glew and Hannah Hersay, an only child.
His father Joseph was a convict transported to Australia on ship Hougley in 1834, his mother died 1835

Josiah ends up in the Union Workhouse on 1841Census.

1847 He enlisted with the British Army (70th Foot)  his record states his conduct was very bad and he was eventually discharged.

He had several criminal convictions and jail time, under the name of John Brown (alias Josiah Glew) for  stealing,  cutting and wounding etc.
 I don't think he married

I have an 1862 Western Australia  Convict record for John Brown alias Josiah Glew. He seems to have disappeared from here, could this be my Josiah?

If someone could help me understand the records i have i would be very grateful

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Josiah Glew where did he end up?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 23 06:56 GMT (UK) »
John BROWN aka Josiah GLEW
Arrived Western Australia 28 Jan 1862 on Lincelles

His UK prison records show he was convicted in 1855 to 4 years for cutting.
In 1853 he was sentenced to 10 yrs for larceny, and from what I understand, this was added to the 4 yrs, making a total of 14 yrs transportation.
He had previous prison time as listed on his prison record – Maidstone, Pentonville (twice), Dorchester, Millbank, Portsmouth and Gibraltar.

So was he a very bad young man, or was he trying really hard to get sent to Australia to join his family?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 23 07:07 GMT (UK) »
THE SUSSEX ADVERTISER, SURREY GAZETTE, &C., MARCH 15, 1853
On the night of the 6th instant, Josiah Glew, a pauper at the Easebourne Workhouse, and who has at various times been an inmate of Petworth Gaol, absconded from the workhouse, taking with him a suit of clothes, pair of stockings, two handkerchiefs, pillowcase, three shirts, two blankets and a pair of new boots. His escape was effected in the following daring manner – at between 40 and 50 feet below his bedroom window is the leaded roof of the boardroom, and obtaining two sheets, he tied them together and fastened the end to an iron bar in his window, from whence, he by the aid of the sheets, let himself down to the roof below, and form there slid to the ground by means of a pipe used for conveying the water off the roof. A pane of glass was broken in his window, apparently by his foot in getting out; but nevertheless none of the inmates were roused, and the fugitive managed to clear off, and was not missed till the morning shewed the sheets fluttering from the window. This man appears to be a thoroughly “artful card”. As a short time ago, being in Petworth Gaol, he contrived to exhibit such symptoms, and make such professions of amendment of life, as to obtain from the authorities both money and clothes, promising to immediately leave the country and strive to redeem his character as an emigrant. A very short time after he had left the prison, however, he had pawned his clothes and spent his money; and the resent result shews how he kept his promise of amendment of life."
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 23 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Neale,

A nice little piece of information I haven't seen before.

His father Joseph died  in jan 1848 at the young age of 48 leaving  five children, they went on to have large families, whether Josiah ever connected with them I am not sure

i will try and find a death for him in Australia

JUDY