Author Topic: Agnes Mathers of Carrowdore 1893ish  (Read 375 times)

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes Mathers of Carrowdore 1893ish
« on: Sunday 12 November 23 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I am wondering if anyone can help me find a birth or baptism record for this lady. She is Agnes Mary MATHERS born about 1892/3.

In 1901 she is living with her grandparents David and Mary McGowan at Ganaway, Carrowdore but is named on the census as Agnes MATHERS. Her mother is living next door with her husband.

In 1911 she is living with her mother Eliza MATHERS and her husband William, also at Ganaway. They have a further 3 children born between 1895 and 1906 and I can find all of their births.

William MATHERS (bachelor) and Elizabeth McGOWAN (spinster) married in Feb 1893 so I am thinking Agnes may not be the child of William Mathers.

I have searched under both surnames and all Agnes babies in Newtownards district and coming up with a blank.

I think Agnes married a Charles Crawford in 1922 and would also love to know if they had any children.

Both families are Presbyterian.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Heather

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Mathers of Carrowdore 1893ish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 23 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Irish Genealogy site (vital records is down the last number of days but there is this possiblity-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FBFZ-H32 (Agnes McGowan, Apr/June 1895 Newtownards district) GRONI gives mother's maiden name as Reid.
There are, however, other possibilities.

When Irish Genealogy site is back you could also try searching for McGowan birth without a first name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 23 14:57 GMT (UK) »

I think Agnes married a Charles Crawford in 1922 and would also love to know if they had any children.

Heather

Agnes Mathers marriage to Charles Crawford was on 8.9.1922 registered in Ards.  I can see the birth of a son William on 10.6.1923, registered in Newtownards. You can view those 2 certificates on the GRONI website (for a fee).

There may well be later children but those records are not generally viewable on-line (as they are within the past 100 years). You can either go to GRONI or PRONI in person and search there or ring GRONI up and pay them to search for you.
Elwyn

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 November 23 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both

I chose the wrong weekend to go back to this brick wall! The GRONI site is also unavailable for full searches until tomorrow!

I already have the marriage cert for Agnes and Charles but had not seen any children. I will look into William further.  I believe the irishgenealogy site has a message on it saying that 1923 births have now been added so will see when it returns. I must admit I had forgotten the GRONI site so will definitely revisit.

Tomorrow is another day!

Thanks again
Heather

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 November 23 15:42 GMT (UK) »

The GRONI site is also unavailable for full searches until tomorrow!

The GRONI website is working for me.

Forename of child   Surname of child   Date of birth   Sex of child   Mother's maiden name   Registration district

William                   Crawford                 10th June 1923   Male                  Mathers   
    Newtownards

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 November 23 15:52 GMT (UK) »
How weird, I just tried again but went in by a different route and got it.

Many thanks for that, definitely the right child there.

Heather

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 November 23 15:56 GMT (UK) »

I already have the marriage cert for Agnes and Charles but had not seen any children. I will look into William further.  I believe the irishgenealogy site has a message on it saying that 1923 births have now been added so will see when it returns. I must admit I had forgotten the GRONI site so will definitely revisit.

The irishgenealogy site does not have any records for what is now Northern Ireland, from 1.1.1922 onwards. Only GRONI holds those later records.
Elwyn

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 November 23 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that makes sense. That is the only place to search for Agnes' birth in 1892?
Heather

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 November 23 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that makes sense. That is the only place to search for Agnes' birth in 1892?
Heather

No. Pre 1922 certificates are on irishgenealogy as well as GRONI. But since irishgenealogy is free and you have to pay for GRONI I would generally use irishgenealogy for an 1892 birth.

As has been mentioned earlier, some births were registered without a forename so search with “unknown” as the forename or leave the box blank. Also Agnes is a variant of Ann & Nancy so try those too.

One thing GRONI is very good for is finding siblings. Searching their indexes is free.  If you know both parents surnames, enter them on the births search facility and leave the child's forename blank. You can only do 5 years at a time but it should throw up all their children (which you then look up on irishgenealogy).
Elwyn