Author Topic: Ellen Taylor 1812 & John Lester 1811  (Read 516 times)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Taylor 1812 & John Lester 1811
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 November 23 10:21 GMT (UK) »
And welcome to Rootschat GillyT :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline GillyT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 November 23 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neale & Trish- and thankyou!

John Lester's death date in Lichfield is definitely possible. I assumed it would be Walsall as that's where he was living.

Baptisms of John Lester/ Ellen Taylor's children are right I think as are Daniel/ Elizabeth Taylor's children. The latter's burial dates would fit in with this well.

Not sure re Daniel marrying Elizabeth Pheasant. The date's probably about right but can't find anything further.

Confused about John Lester maybe  using his stepfather name on M/C. Why do we think Charles was his stepfather not his father and why would John use his name? Do we have a marriage date for John Lester/ Ellen?

I added Charles Lester as a possible 3rd great grandfather on Anc and got the suggestions of a Sarah Boddes/ Boddis/ Boddies/ Boddice as his wife and George Lester/ Hannah Wilkinson as his parents. It also gave me DNA links through all these 4 people. It looks like Charles/ Sarah had John Lester in 1811 but also Harriet Lester in the same year. Twins or opposite ends of the year? Is this checkable?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 November 23 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Do we have a marriage date for John Lester/ Ellen?
1st March 1838 - Walsall, St Matthew
(Sorry - I assumed you had this)
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline GillyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 November 23 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 November 23 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Confused about John Lester maybe  using his stepfather name on M/C. Why do we think Charles was his stepfather not his father and why would John use his name?

John would use his step-father’s Christian name “Charles” on the marriage record, because he didn’t know who his real father was. He recorded it as Charles Lester, because if he had recorded his father as Charles Doyle then that would have exposed the fact that he was illegitimate, and all the shame that came with that.
In my experience, this sort of thing is not uncommon with children who don’t know their real father’s name. I can’t speak for Trish, but I expect she has come across similar examples.

I added Charles Lester as a possible 3rd great grandfather on Anc and got the suggestions of a Sarah Boddes/ Boddis/ Boddies/ Boddice as his wife and George Lester/ Hannah Wilkinson as his parents. It also gave me DNA links through all these 4 people. It looks like Charles/ Sarah had John Lester in 1811 but also Harriet Lester in the same year. Twins or opposite ends of the year? Is this checkable?
Harriet Lester (daughter of Charles and Sarah) was baptised in Wolverhampton on 21 Jan 1811
Also in same family - John in 1815, George in 1819, Samuel in 1823, Thomas in 1825, Eliza in 1827
All baptisms in Wolverhampton - The father Charles Lester was a miner.
His wife was Sarah Boddes and they married in Wolverhampton 12 Mar 1810.

There appears to be no connection to Lichfield, or to the John Lester baptised in Lichfield 24 Mar 1811.

I would be extremely wary taking information from trees on Ancestry, where people make mistakes and everyone else copies. Whoever you have a DNA link to may well have assumed Charles Lester was correct, and has not done complete checking. You would need to look in more detail at their tree, and see where they have gone wrong.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline GillyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 November 23 21:40 GMT (UK) »
That's very helpful thankyou. Lots to check out and verify!

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 November 23 21:45 GMT (UK) »

Assuming John Lester was the illegitimate son of Sarah Lester ….

Sarah Lester baptism in Lichfield 26 Aug 1790
Daughter of Thomas and Sarah Lester.

Thomas Lester married Sarah Cartmale in Lichfield 28 Jan 1776

This provides your link to the name Cartmale that is given to the son John Cartmale Lester born in 1854.

Children baptised to Thomas and Sarah Lester in Lichfield:
Elizabeth 1776, Mary 1779, Edward 1781, Ann 1784, Catherine 1786, Sarah 1790.

Possible burials -
Sarah Lester (nee Cartmale) burial 28 Oct 1821 - Lichfield (age 71)
Thomas Lester burial 21 Jan 1791 – Lichfield (age not recorded)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Excellent work Neale1961 ;D

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline GillyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Excellent work both of you!
Do you think the Mary Lester/ Cartmale marriage were 1st cousins? The dates fit...