Author Topic: Wakefield - Woodside query  (Read 506 times)

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wakefield - Woodside query
« on: Monday 13 November 23 04:53 GMT (UK) »
I've found some baptisms, and also a marriage, at All Saints, Wakefield in the first decade of the eighteenth century, where the parties are said to be from "Woodside". I take it this isn't the parish of that name in the Adel/Guiseley/Horsforth area, but somewhere closer to Wakefield.

Looking online, I've found a few Woodside Farms and Woodside Cottages in the general area of Wakefield, but those could well be modern names given by anyone with a couple of trees on his property. Can anyone help with some local knowledge? Other names in this family are associated with Badsworth and Thorpe Audlin, to the east of Wakefield, so I'm hoping that "Woodside" in the Wakefield church records is off in this direction.

Many thanks.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wakefield - Woodside query
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 23 11:17 GMT (UK) »
So your records are dated 1700 to 1710 or thereabouts.

Look at old maps, certainly plenty around online from mid 1800s, which will ascertain the history of Woodside farm at least
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 23 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's right: by "the first decade of the eighteenth century" I do mean the period between 1700 and 1710. So thanks for your suggestion about maps but the ones you suggest, "from mid 1800s", are about 150 years after my period. Do you know where I can find maps that cover the dates I'm concerned with?

I should perhaps have mentioned that the baptismal records show other names of families resident in Woodside so it's unlikely to have been a single farm, more likely a neighbourhood, perhaps even a village.

Thanks anyway.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 23 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Have you contacted West Yorkshire Joint Services - they have a Wakefield District Office?

https://www.wyjs.org.uk/archive-service/
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 November 23 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Bumble. I'll give them a try.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 November 23 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I've just tried searching for Woodside Wakefield and found the following page, which suggests that Woodside was an earlier name for Outwood, but I haven't found anything else to corroborate this.

https://outwoodcommunityvideo.co.uk/the-story-of-outwood-hall.html
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 November 23 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Arthur. There's a road called Woodside in Wrenthorpe which is next to Outwood and supports your hypothesis.

My problem is that there are other Woodsides in the area and I'm still asking myself: when the records of All Saints, Wakefield say that a person in the very early 1700s is from "Woodside", which one do they mean? (I agree that Outwood is a contender.)

Thanks again.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Woodside is /was in Outwood Wrenthorpe Wakefield

In the oldmap link below

Where it say's in big capital leters R L E Y- above between the L and E you'll see Stanley in black letter and above that in faint same size letters Wrenthorpe above that Outwood Hall (above the P in WrenthorPe) and (Left side of the W in Wrenthorpe you see Trough Well Lane were Woodside is known to day by locals but not on the map )

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102345004

https://www.google.com/search?q=+Woodside+outwood&sca_esv=582142208&tbm=bks&ei=huhSZb_SKY-qhbIPv_CP2As&ved=0ahUKEwi_rcSkxcKCAxUPVUEAHT_4A7sQ4dUDCAk&oq=+Woodside+outwood&gs_lp=Eg1nd3Mtd2l6LWJvb2tzIhEgV29vZHNpZGUgb3V0d29vZEjrC1AAWABwAHgAkAEAmAF_oAF_qgEDMC4xuAEMyAEA-AEBiAYB&sclient=gws-wiz-books

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Outwood,+Wakefield/@53.7076205,-1.5137279,14.75z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x4879670c909ce993:0xa06d96cc70e0679a!8m2!3d53.7126036!4d-1.5025099!16zL20vMGNyM2h6?entry=ttu

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Marvellous, dobfarm, many thanks.

The map is again from the mid-1850s but you're suggesting that Woodside would have had the same meaning 150 years earlier?

PS: I was born in 1946 in Manygates Nursing Home in Sandal (since demolished) but first lived in Carr Gate which the map shows is very close to Woodside where my ancestors probably lived 250 years earlier. I moved away from Yorkshire at a young age :-( and now live in the US so this is quite a discovery for me.