Author Topic: Wakefield - Woodside query  (Read 508 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Wakefield - Woodside query
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 18:21 GMT (UK) »
High Nich.

Most online maps only go back to 1850 and any old maps 1700's would be in the West Yorkshire archive or the National archives at Kew London

Near Manygates on the Barnsley road out for Wakefield is an acute Y junction called ( not named on any maps) ' busy corner ' by locals and I think there will be some history of the corner or folk law.

Though I do have a car, I use my OAP free bus pass for obvious reason of fuel cost. though I  come from Hudderfield, I catch the Huddersfield to Wakefield bus over the years since I retired, I have been on many bus routes out of Wakefield to various places. Going home to Huddersfield from Wakefield, I used to catch ( The Wakefield to Huddersfield bus had a bad habit of either missing or they were short of drivers due to the Covid 19 virous  at the time) 117 bus to Leeds as there was more bus routes from Leeds to Huddersfield or use the train, anyway the bus used to go through Wrenthorpe and I use hear locals say the were getting off at Woodside and others got off further on at Outwood park.

One of my local bus stops near where I live, the locals always ask for the Drill Hall even though the Drill hall had been pulled down long before some of the local bus travelers were born. ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 20:05 GMT (UK) »
According to the Survey of English Place-Names, Outwood has at various times been known as Outwoodside:

https://epns.nottingham.ac.uk/browse/West+Riding+of+Yorkshire/Wakefield/5328827cb47fc40c81006290-Outwood
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Woodside in Wrenthorpe is in the Yorkshire and The Humber region of England. The postcode is within the Wrenthorpe and Outwood West ward/electoral division, which is in the constituency of Morley and Outwood. This page combines information for the address Woodside, Wrenthorpe, Wakefield, WF2 0LD, and the neighbourhood in which it resides. If you wish, you can also view information for the whole of WF2 here. For more details on the exact area these statistics cover, please see the map below and click "Show Census Area Covered" immediately below the map.

https://www.streetcheck.co.uk/postcode/wf20ld

Below link Scroll down to you see  1791

https://www.google.com/search?q=woodside+lodge++outwood+wakefield&sca_esv=582374017&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB1082GB1082&ei=yNlTZd78KpiG9u8PxJOGCA&ved=0ahUKEwjegPuuq8SCAxUYg_0HHcSJAQEQ4dUDCBA&oq=woodside+lodge++outwood+wakefield&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiIXdvb2RzaWRlIGxvZGdlICBvdXR3b29kIHdha2VmaWVsZDIIEAAYiQUYogQyCBAAGIkFGKIEMggQABiJBRiiBDIFEAAYogQyBRAAGKIESLhPUMULWLwhcAF4AJABAJgBYqABpASqAQE3uAEMyAEA-AEBwgILEAAYiQUYogQYsAPCAggQABiiBBiwA8ICChAhGKABGMMEGArCAggQIRigARjDBOIDBBgBIEGIBgGQBgQ&sclient=gws-wiz-serp
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth