Author Topic: Lookup request please marriage  (Read 1671 times)

Offline ork23110

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup request please marriage
« on: Monday 13 November 23 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, marriage lookup request for Thomas O'Donoghue father Andrew between 1893 and 1899, sorry no other info available. J
(O'Donohue alternative)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request please marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 23 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 23 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 23 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Oh I thought it meant the parents’ marriage!

Offline ork23110

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 November 23 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW sorry for the apparent duplication but I thought he might be married in Cork and not Dublin so as I have very little to go on I thought it might be better to search in both, I didn't think that those helping would be looking in both, if that makes sense, and heywood thanks it's records of Thomas that have evaded me. J

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 November 23 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi J - It's easy enough to search the civil records for a marriage if you have both husband and wife's name. If your original district doesn't come up, try it without choosing a district, just enter either husband or wife's name in the search in the civil records (https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/agreement.jsp) and then do a Find down the whole lot for the spouse's name when the results come up. Of course, this doesn't apply so much when Patrick Byrne has married Mary Dunne, say!
(Sometimes, for some odd reason, I can't find a marriage if I try one name (eg Patrick Byrne), but then try the same search using the other (eg Mary Dunne). And I find it's easier, if I have a rough idea when the marriage was, to bracket three or four years at a time; eg 1892 to 1896.)

Offline ork23110

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 November 23 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Abhanliath, tried it but no luck (when it was working). I generally find it very hit and miss, I could try one day and get nothing and a few days later try the same search and get a result other times I've gotten a result first and if I go back later nothing it's frustrating. J

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 November 23 11:59 GMT (UK) »
have you found Thomas , or Andrew, on the 1901 census ? any idea where he went or names of any of his children or if he actually married ?

It's a very wide search without some idea re the 'where' and without bride's name (which I presume you dont have)

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 November 23 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Abhanliath, tried it but no luck (when it was working). I generally find it very hit and miss, I could try one day and get nothing and a few days later try the same search and get a result other times I've gotten a result first and if I go back later nothing it's frustrating. J

Ah yeah, the Civil Records went down from last Thursday till sometime on Monday. This is a season when many people, including IT support, tend to catch colds (or flu or covid, both of which are flying around) and not be able to get to work.

I mostly find it ok, with a few flaws.

If you're successful with a search, save the result, and then you won't need to try the same search again. I find the best way to save it is like this:

"1899 Patrick Byrne and Mary Dunne marriage registration; he's in 109 Seville Place, Dublin, she's in Baltinglass, Co Wicklow; his father William is a box manufacture, her father George is a DMP constable"

And I'll put that into a file called, say, "Patrick Byrne", if he's the one whose records I'm looking for. Then I'll go to the census records and look for William Byrne, box manufacturer, and hopefully find Patrick living with William in either 1901 or 1911 (or both), and this will give me Patrick's age, more or less (depending on class, etc, some people were a little freehand with ages). And it'll tell me that Patrick was born in Longford. So then I can go back to the civil records and look for his birth registration.

By the way, if you don't find O'Donoghue, trie O'Donohue and O'Donoghoe and so on. The clerics and civil servants writing down these records weren't always exact with their spellings. Same with the censuses; these were handwritten and then transcribed in India, and the transcribers sometimes misread the name.

I'll also check the Dublin voting records at http://databases.dublincity.ie/burgesses/advanced_new.php  - again, you need to fiddle around with this at times, clicking on the different searches, to find William, box manufacturer, at the address he was in one or both of the censuses, and this will tell you, say, that William lives in a house in Seville Place where he has the front parlour only, or the house and garden.

If you find a result, though, don't just say "Oh, goody" - save it in the right folder, and go on.