Author Topic: Leap Year dance, Peace Memorial Hall, Penkridge, Staffs  (Read 211 times)

Offline Mack74

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leap Year dance, Peace Memorial Hall, Penkridge, Staffs
« on: Tuesday 14 November 23 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

would love some help with dating this photo, okay we know that its between the wars, we know its a leap year but other than that and if any one can name any one on said photo that would be great, photo found in belongings of a relative could be Underwood, Westwood or James.
looking forward to hearing from you
Kind regards Emma.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leap Year dance, Peace Memorial Hall, Penkridge, Staffs
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma

Welcome  :)

The Marcel wave hairstyle of many of the women  suggests mid to late 1920s.  Leap years were 1920, 1924 and 1928. I'd suggest it would be one of the later dates.

Gadget 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 01:56 GMT (UK) »
It's hard to say because even in the depression 1930's the wealthy people would still have clothes in their wardrobes from better times for dress for dinner, a party or dance - even if their bank accounts had depleted a bit in the great depression ;D - Yet it would seem more likely the mid to late 1920's and I think Gadget is not far off in the leap years assessment. putting it about 1928
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me, too, Emma. :)

A Staffordshire Photographers index lists Frederick Parsons of 45 Mill St, Cannock in 1928, 1932 and 1940. He was born in 1899. I think 1928 would be the most likely date for your photo. https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/STS/Stsphots

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.