Author Topic: Vansickle  (Read 370 times)

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Vansickle
« on: Tuesday 14 November 23 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,bit of a long shot but you never know.I have a relative that had a sister by an earlier marriage. Her name was / is Gloria. She got together with an American GI by the name of Vansickle in Monmouthshire, Wales.My relative had an address for him/ them in Phoenix Arizona but just by hearsay he thinks they went to Australia afterwards. Here’s hoping, Phil.
My email address is not working - sorry

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Vansickle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 20:47 GMT (UK) »
She got together with an American GI by the name of Vansickle in Monmouthshire, Wales

When?  There is a 1954 marriage in Monmouthshire for that surname

You have another post here

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=878083.new#new

Is your relative still alive?  If yes - surely she knows his/her step/half sisters surname?

Have you checked outgoing passenger lists for "Gloria"

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole, my relative is an elderly gentleman born in 1943. He informed me that he had a half sister that was a fair bit older than him. He remembers nothing about his fathers first wife. He remembers going to the Monmouth area with his dad to visit his half sister. His father was born in Newport in 1907 so I’m guessing that his first marriage would have been about 1927 onwards and the daughter being marrying age 20+ years after that. I haven’t searched passenger lists for Gloria yet, Phil

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Carole, I missed the marriage on free BMD because I never left a space after Van.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 23:20 GMT (UK) »
His father was born in Newport in 1907 so I’m guessing that his first marriage would have been about 1927

From your other post

in WW2 there was a GI who was based in South Wales UK. His surname was Vansickle and he met a young lady called Gloria. Not sure of her surname but could have been Jones.

You must know his fathers name so have you looked for the fathers first marriage to establish who he married then find the daughters details from that info? 

A reply on your other post shows a birth of 1930 so she was only 15 at the end of the war
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Carole, his fathers name was John Charles Jones who later changed his surname to Newland-Jones. So trying John Joneses is not a walk in the park as it seems that most male members of my family shared that name.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Carole, his fathers name was John Charles Jones who later changed his surname to Newland-Jones. So trying John Joneses is not a walk in the park as it seems that most male members of my family shared that name.

There is a person by the above name who married a Dowling it might relate to your other post.

It looks as if she had another daughter born in 1937 different surname - I will send you a PM with details so you can check
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 10:58 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be a great deal of info on the other post so you may want to consider closing this post to prevent any possible duplication of info

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 23:06 GMT (UK) »

John Charles Jones who later changed his surname to Newland-Jones.

His father was born in Newport in 1907 

From your other post

His death as Newland-Jones gives his dob 19 Jan 1907

This birth entry from GRO indexes for qtr Jan/Feb/Mar 1907 mn blank so would suggest illegitimate birth - digital image available

JONES, JOHN  CHARLES     - 
GRO Reference: 1907  M Quarter in NEWPORT MON  Volume 11A  Page 247

Do you have his birth certificate to confirm name of parent or parents?

Have you found him on 1911 and 1921 census to see who he’s living with?

There seems to be a great deal of info on the other post so you may want to consider closing this post to prevent any possible duplication of info

I think that’s a good idea CaroleW as I wasn’t sure whether to post this question here or on the other thread
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk