Author Topic: Sheep Rustling...at Crosshouse ?  (Read 502 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sheep Rustling...at Crosshouse ?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Weel kent names from the Ardrossan of my youth.  I played football with 2 of the Clarkes, cousins, both called Tommy.   The older one was known as 'Dumper' and was a formidable goalkeeper who had trialled as a boy with Celtic, and you avoided being confronted by him in front of goal, he was quite fierce.  The younger Tommy was a gifted footballer but the last I heard of him was in the 1970s after being in an altercation in which a man died.  The Maple Leaf Hotel, Canal Street, Saltcoats, on a 'Grab-a-granny  night' often resulted in disputes.
At least the sheep rustling was not in the Aberdeen Style. (Whit!? Nae kissing!)
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my favourite jumper about 1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 13:29 GMT (UK) »
There were so many Clarke's in Ardrossan it's hard to keep track of them.....I think there were two or three different families, either very distantly related, or not related at all......it seems that 68 Kirkhall Drive was a tenement block, so I'm guessing lot's of families lived there.....I can't find any evidence of Francis Clarke being a relative of my Mrs. Grandfather, Hugh Joseph, but it's still possible......
Clarke , Calvert , McCreadie,
 McDowell, Paton & Scott families,  Scotland
& Ireland, Ayto/Hayto/Eato/Eatough families, Lincolnshire.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Kirkhall drive and Busbie Drive and Castle Road all had low rise tenements.  2 level and 3 level.  Kirkhall Drive had many of the families displaced from Kilmahew Street's Victorian demolished tenements.
Youths born in the 1940s and 1950s in Ardrossan, Saltcoats & Stevenston couldn't get proper housing whenever they married so left to get brand new flats and houses in Pennyburn, Kilwinning, then part of Irvine's NEW TOWN. 
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline 2dandan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 December 23 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Re reply #1. The court would have been Kilmarnock Sheriff Court and not Ayr.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my favourite jumper about 1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Re reply #1. The court would have been Kilmarnock Sheriff Court and not Ayr.
Thank you....I can't find any information on it at all....maybe one day.....
Clarke , Calvert , McCreadie,
 McDowell, Paton & Scott families,  Scotland
& Ireland, Ayto/Hayto/Eato/Eatough families, Lincolnshire.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you....I can't find any information on it at all....maybe one day.....

Unfortunately you are unlikely to (at least through the Court Records). Scottish Sheriff Court records have a 100 year closure on them and even then not all are preserved as they go through a weeding process.