Author Topic: Record Office / "The Story" re-opening  (Read 801 times)

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
Record Office / "The Story" re-opening
« on: Wednesday 15 November 23 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about progress on the above, now clearly not slated to re-open as advertised 'in late 2023'.

I have been watching the Twitter feed for "The Story" for a year now and in all that time it has studiously avoided giving *any* information on project progress - in a twelvemonth, just one tweet about the archivists working on moving the original parish registers, otherwise other unrelated local history stuff on a daily basis:

https://twitter.com/thestorydurham?lang=en

Similarly, the official project page hasn't been updated in yonks:

https://www.durham.gov.uk/article/23983/The-Story-so-far-and-next-steps

I am forward-planning a research trip in January 2025 and would love to think it might be open by then.  Am I being overly pessimistic in having doubts?!
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Record Office / "The Story" re-opening
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I have no info about when it will open, but have 'really' missed the quick search facility to get copies of records.
Given that there have been no updates at all, anywhere (and I too have been looking), I would guess that the projected date of late 2023 is unlikely to be met. Though I'd think that your planned trip in Jan 2025 is in with a good chance :-)

Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I was recently advised that the project is far from complete at present. The phrase ‘ a long way to go’ was used  :-X
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 November 23 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both, even if you're confirming my own pessimism!  It seems to be a case of 'no news is bad news'  :(
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 November 23 10:22 GMT (UK) »
I had a firkle round the web, there's a contact on this page who has a county council email address. Try an email to them to see if they can shed any light?
https://www.countydurhamvolunteering.org.uk/organisation/the-story-at-mount-oswald--1602

I don't do the Facebook thing but asked a friend to send a message to the county council page to enquire, will report back if there is a reply.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 November 23 10:54 GMT (UK) »
and the reply to the FB message says they don't yet have a date and suggest keeping on checking the website as it will be announced when they do have one.

so nothing we didn't already know :-)

Boo

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 November 23 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Boo ... you do wonder if anyone considered closing the original archives *after* the new building was ready to receive them.  I'm sure it would still have taken months to move all the miles of shelving of records but the key is in 'months' rather than 'years'.

Or if anyone considered that most family history lookups were done via the microfilm readers and a few shelves of indexes/transcripts and so not dependent on a major move plus entirely self-service.

That said it's the local historians I feel most sorry for and anyone trying to write a book, a thesis or a dissertation needing access to Durham source materials.  Given that Durham was the last local record office to re-open after Covid ... and for a very brief period before shutting again ... it will soon be 3 years without access.

So as not to appear too much of a moaner, I'm trying to look on the bright side also and hoping that some of the hints on the project page about digitisation extend to parish registers.  If the new record office plans to roll out something like the system at Woodhorn that would be great.  It feels increasingly 'stone age' in 2023 to be spooling through microfilm, particularly on the old hand-cranked specials :-)  I've been a visitor to Tyne and Wear Archives since 1985 and they're still using the same machines as then!

Thanks again for putting out some feelers on the FB page.

Jon

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 January 24 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Some news!

According to an update on "The Story" Twitter/X feed, Carolyn Ball (Durham County Archivist) is giving a talk on Thursday 1st February at 7 p.m. in St. Andrew's Church Coxhoe entitled "Starting the next chapter - 'The Story' at Mount Oswald: a behind-the-scenes insight into the development of the new home of Durham County Records Office, the DLI Collection, Local Studies and Historic Environment Record."

Admission is £3 including refreshments and although the talk is to the Coxhoe Local History Group, the ad. makes it clear that all are welcome.

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 January 24 10:00 GMT (UK) »
That sounds like an opportunity to ask some penetrating questions.  I have every sympathy for the staff because they are probably trying to do this task with staffing levels much reduced from say ten years ago.  There would not be sufficient bodies to keep a "reading room" open and also do the removal.

This is evident everywhere across archives, libraries, museums, regimental museums, historic environment records.  The solution seems to be to merge them in one building.  Then, to keep the doors open, staff have to stand-in for colleagues expert in different disciplines .  Mistakes are made, an acquaintance suffered one example just after covid, when museum staff involved themselves with an archive deposit.  All these services are at the thin end of reduced local government funding when major statutory services have had their slice.  Some of these services are statutory, but in varying ways.

Museums are not.  My local regimental museum used to receive funding equivalent to one member of staff which was cut by the MoD about 25 years ago.  Archives have responsibilities to different bodies for various classes of records: diocesan, manorial, local health and court records, pre-1974 local authorities.  That is just to look after them, not to make them available 5 or 6 days a week.  Public libraries have a statutory responsibility to provide "an adequate service".  Around 1990 this was eventually defined in detail, and then rapidly watered down.  A local studies library closed for any extended period is not an adequate service, but it seems to have become acceptable.

Smaller numbers of staff now have to spend part of their time writing bids for money for specific projects, in order to survive.  There is no spare money for new microfilm readers, parts for the old ones become a problem.  One archive service was reduced to asking its "Friends" group to fund the purchase of acid-free archive storage boxes, which are not cheap, but should be a standard stationery item.

An election is looming, all these matters are out of sight when canvassing begins and nobody is seriously interested.