Author Topic: Record Office / "The Story" re-opening  (Read 802 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Record Office / "The Story" re-opening
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 January 24 11:24 GMT (UK) »
The opening is now forecast to take place in early summer this year
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/24053377.story---durhams-new-archives-museum---delayed/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 January 24 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Jen - looks like we can start to dream of accessing the records again.

Molly - I take your point that some archives show distressing signs of "broken Britain" and budgetary cuts.  I'm hoping that The Story will be like Northumberland Records Office by which I mean that it will provide a good environment for research (whether or not shared with other council services) and some innovation in the provision of records previously only available on microfilm, i.e. that they'e started down the digitisation track.  I feel sorry for the staff at Tyne and Wear, clearly underfunded, understaffed and coping with a dwindling number of knackered old microfilm readers.

I'm optimistic about "The Story".  Don't start me on the daft name though - I already have to remember that "The Word" is actually South Shields Library, "The Hive" is Worcester Records Office and Library (near where I live currently), "The Great North Museum" is the Hancock and now "The Story"... sheesh.  Life was so much easier with plain old {insert county here} Records Office.  The marketing wonks have taken over!
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 February 24 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Just seen a DCC post on Facebook that they are opening 14/06/2024.

Jay

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 February 24 11:23 GMT (UK) »
 Good news :-) thanks JayG!
Boo

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 February 24 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Just seen a DCC post on Facebook that they are opening 14/06/2024.

Jay

Hooray :D -- Looks like I'll have to pre-book a seat to beat the rush ::)