Author Topic: Entire family missing?! Please help  (Read 554 times)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Entire family missing?! Please help
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 17:05 GMT (UK) »
On another note there is a John Barry buried 23 November 1801 and Frances wife of John Barry buried 4 December 1801 Scarborough
They were Baptist.

Offline Nosmit18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 17:12 GMT (UK) »
I had noticed John and Frances Barry too. I'm hypothesising that this is the parents of John Barry and the Frances Barry who married Joseph Harden. It looks like they died at around the sane time and quite close to where Frances and Joseph married in Scarbrough which might well be significant

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Looks possible that their sister Mary (1766)  married Collin Mc Kenzie 23 May 1785 at Scarborough

I haven't found what happened to sister Ann (1771)

Offline Nosmit18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 19:53 GMT (UK) »
This is interesting. I hadn't found Mary and Ann as I concentrated my search around the Pickering area (Ellerburn/snainton/wilton) This is because it's where John Barry (1759) and Mary Humble were both presumably living at the time of marriage as they married in Ellerburne. I presumed that possibly Frances (John's sister)  moved due to marriage but hadn't considered that the entire family might have moved whilst the children were young I know the area a little and Scarborough isn't miles away but it's far enough to be a fair challenge before cars I'd say. Barry is a fairly common name in Yorkshire so I guess the next challenge is figuring out whether these Barrys buried in Scarborough are my ancestors or from a different line of Barrys

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 20:20 GMT (UK) »
On another note there is a John Barry buried 23 November 1801 and Frances wife of John Barry buried 4 December 1801 Scarborough
They were Baptist.

From the Stones left on the demolished site of Ebenezer Chapel (Ebenezer Baptist Chapel), Longwestgate, Scarborough, demolished 1957 when the gravestones were recorded.

John, 19th Nov 73yrs
Frances, 2 Dec 77yrs

Council Flats were built on the site, but a few stones survive at the perimeter (2010 East Yorks Family Hist. Soc. M.I.)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 20:54 GMT (UK) »
The burial entry for Betsey - 4 May 1790 says that she is the daughter of Joshua.

BUT that is for Betsey HARDY

The gravestone shows death as 18th May 1790   :-\

I'd agree with heywood - mentioned on the headstone as parents of Betsy.  BUT even more confusing is that Betsy doesn't appear on the image of the parish burials in 1790 !!!

Scarborough St Mary's M.I., are suggesting 1790 May 4. Betsy dau of Joshua Hardy. (M.I., transcriptions underlined Joshua Hardy to highlight their suggestion doesn't match the gravestone, but didn't underline 4th in their suggestion).

For me, the date and names discrepancies are obscure, but M.I. suggest it.