Author Topic: Hearson Family Sussex  (Read 615 times)

Offline lynellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hearson Family Sussex
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 November 23 09:05 GMT (UK) »
The 1798 baptism in Deeping is the one I've been searching for and hadn't yet found ! Perfect.

Now it's coming together. Also found to John & Mary in Deeping;
Esther 1800
Obviously named after his Mother. Still need to find Mary Anne b. around 1794/96 as well. If I can find her it'll prove the Sussex connection.

I think Mothers name may have been Esther Adcock, which I've now found on another tree, but haven't had time to locate the record yet.

This is very addictive!
DAVIDSON - Boyndie, Ordiquhill, Fordyce, Gamrie, Botriphnie
BOOTH - Gamrie, Fyvie
GERRIE (GERRY) - Fyvie
SMOLLET (SMOLLETT, SMOUT, SMOWT) - Boyndie
MORISON (MUIRSON/MEARSON) - Ordiquhill
ROY - Mortlach
HEARSON - Lincolnshire & Sussex

Offline lynellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 November 23 19:30 GMT (UK) »
and if you can help me solve this next mystery it would be amazing.
My Henry (John) Hearson b.1819 in Stedham, married an Elizabeth Anne Wilson. In 1837 he joined the 56th Regiment of Foot, at various times being in Ireland, Jamaica, and Canada, eventually they moved to Gibraltar where he became a warden in the military prison there. His children were born in Gibraltar during the 1850s.
The chief warder Between 1847 and 1871 was called George William Hearson, his enlistment records say he was born 1821/23 in Westminster and his father was called John and was a builder.
He married a Frances Ann Sturt when he was stationed in Bury in Lincs in 1846.George William Hearson was transferred to the same regiment as Henry John in 1844 and they were both with the regiment at Bolton and Bury in 1846.
Henry John Hearson then moved to Gibraltar “on Garrison employment”. He purchased his discharge on 26th May 1849. (George William purchased his discharge on 20th June 1850.)

George William is a complete mystery. Can't find his birth anywhere. He has descendants that I have DNA connections to, so must be related.

I do wonder if John Henry b. in Deeping had any other siblings other than Esther. I still haven't proved that Mary Anne was his Sister, but it seems very likely as she gave her birth in census in Stedham as Deeping Lincs and she spent the rest of her life in Stedham

I'm thinking there may have been brothers and one of their sons was George William......

BOOTH - Gamrie, Fyvie
GERRIE (GERRY) - Fyvie
ROY - Mortlach

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 00:46 GMT (UK) »
It certainly looks like George William HEARSON should be related, even though he says his father was a builder, it's a possibility that he was a brother to Henry (John). Can't find a baptism yet. Will keep looking, interesting family.

Offline lynellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Maddy. I could never have found out as much as I now know without your help.
The one thing I've noticed is the men of the family frequently rename themselves John, as in Henry.
It seems to be they call themselves by their Fathers christian name....
Really confusing!
BOOTH - Gamrie, Fyvie
GERRIE (GERRY) - Fyvie
ROY - Mortlach