Author Topic: Percy KENNEDY WW1 1918 Kilkenny  (Read 583 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PERCY KENNEDY WW1 1918 KILKENNY
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 November 23 20:11 GMT (UK) »
There's a concise summary of information from his military records below (page 227), the whereabouts of his parents being unknown (as I mentioned) is picked up in the following, it's all a bit odd:

https://testprephome.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/kilkenny_families_in_the_great_war.pdf

Offline trevalyn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 November 23 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi gaffy, As you say, all a bit odd. Looks like he had no immediate family in the area when he died .
Died in Kilkenny - death registered by his Sixsmith cousin. In 1911 they were the only Sixsmith family in Kilkenny. William Sixsmith married Mary Anne Sheehan (presumably Percy's cousin) in St Canice RC Church, Kilkenny on 18 July 1906. In the absence of Kennedy relations it is likely that the Sixsmith family will have arranged a funeral. St Canice must be a strong contender?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 November 23 22:53 GMT (UK) »
 William Sixsmith’s  death notice 1939 gives his burial to St.Kieran’s Cemetery
I think this William is William and Mary’s son, need to check the death certificate for his age.

BTW Mary’s maiden name was Phelan , she died 1955 at her daughter’s house, also to St. Kieran’s.

Offline trevalyn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 November 23 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Great stuff!  I will investigate St Kieran's.

Offline trevalyn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 November 23 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Re death of William Sixsmith.  Looks like father and son William both died in 1939 - William Sen. on 29 June and William Jun on 9 July - aged 66 and 30.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 November 23 21:17 GMT (UK) »
In that 1906 marriage of William Sixsmith and Mary Ann Phelan, the bride's occupation was recorded as nurse and her father William's as publican, so I'm guessing that this was her in the family household in 1901:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kilkenny/Kilkenny_Urban/New_Park/1450260/

Tracking births for the children in the above census return point to this couple being William Phelan and Bridget Murphy, who were married in 1869:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1869/11422/8195636.pdf 

So if Mary Anne really was a cousin to Percy (I'm always wary of this word in the likes of census returns), then Murphy is another potential connection point.

Offline trevalyn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Percy KENNEDY WW1 1918 Kilkenny
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Disappointingly, St Kieran's (which looked most likely) didn't open until 1926. Also, St Canice has no records before 1921. There is still work to be done!