Author Topic: Possible change of name opinion sort  (Read 569 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible change of name opinion sort
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 November 23 04:27 GMT (UK) »
As Queensland didn't come in been a separate state until 1859 all birth, marriages and deaths were registered in NSW. Once QLD become a state on its own all these records were transcribed over into the QLD records. I have a marriage cert. from 1856 and obtained both copies, one from NSW and the one from QLD and there are different spelling errors on both. When i got a actual copy of the register her surname was Ward, not wole [qld cert] or warn [nsw cert]

I don't feel there has been a name change, maybe just spelling errors on records.

NSW marriage for William and Bridget

318/1849 V1849318 96  - BODEN  WILLIAM  ---  MC GREENY   BRIDGET  -- District LV

LV - Roman Catholic  Brisbane (QLD)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 November 23 11:45 GMT (UK) »

Why I'm proposing the earlier mentioned William Bowden is that he arrived in the same year and from 1839 onwards the person who married Bridget could have assumed his identity.

I don't feel there has been a name change, maybe just spelling errors on records.

Oneday is suggesting that her person changed his name to take on the identity of the convict who died in 1839.

Debra  :)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 November 23 03:18 GMT (UK) »

Arh got it now, thanks Debra  :)

Offline Pinjarra1929

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 December 23 06:48 GMT (UK) »
I read this post because I suspect name changes of my great grandad and both his first and second wives. I posted about why my grandad was made a ward for state and uk govt coerced him to emigrate to  Australia without his family when he age 12. Middlemore emigration home Birmingham  to w Australia Fairbridge in 1929.
sorry I'm stealing the post but you said the name was WARD. from looking into our mysterious shady past my grandad was called a Ward,  of the state,  when he was taken from family in Coventry in 1928,  sent to migrate with other alone children to slave formwork in Australia frim age 12 to 21, when the UK charities/companies repatriated him with a few others deemed suicidal by Psychiatrist. unsurprisingly.
I posted asking advice and replies said thought only the 2nd wife will have gave birth to their 7 children. despite purchasing birth certificate of oldest , my grandad, and says his birth mum is name of 1st wife blanche Jean Hallewell,  ne kitson. she died age 36 I can't afford her death certificate to see cause of death.  death in 1921. my grandad Reginald Stanley Coville Hallewell was 6. whem his mum,,  on original birth certificate   died  . in 1937 his dad was dead and Fairbridge with Middlemore request birth certificate from assumed step mum. she provided one saying she was Reginalds birth mum.
sorry I'm insane to hijack.