Author Topic: Thompson/Fitzgerald/Dickson Family  (Read 324 times)

Offline OliverGnomeo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thompson/Fitzgerald/Dickson Family
« on: Friday 17 November 23 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I know this is such a long shot but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Thompson family, I have a very vague hand drawn family tree, and a marriage cert from 1837 that I only recently found that belonged to my father. I'm not sure when or who was the first to migrate to Australia.

- Thomas Thompson (unknown spouse)
- William Thompson (Son of Thomas); married to Mary Dale (father James Dale, Mother ?) on August 2nd 1837 in the parish of Helmsley in the country of York
- William Thompson (Son of William and Mary); married to Catherine Luddy
- William Henry Thompson (son of William and Catherine); married to Holton (unsure about this one?)
-John Joseph Thompson (son of William and Holton); (unsure of spouse possibly Kathleen Mary Parle)
- Gavin John Thompson (Son of John and Kathleen?); Unsure of spouses/my nana's name)
-Philip John Fitzgerald/Dickson (Son of Gavin and ?); my father 1964-2014

Any knowledge would be so greatly appreciated.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson/Fitzgerald/Dickson Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 23 23:22 GMT (UK) »
You have posted on the Ireland board, not the ideal place.

Suggest you research the details further within Australia. You need to work it back from your father using Australian resources and certificates to confirm where they came from in England, Scotland or wherever as though I see a tree on Ancestry with similar details they look spurious, with the Victoria, Australia, Passenger List suggesting William Thompson junior was Scottish, a London school admission and a Barnsley Baptism. Ancestry hints lots of records with the same names but many are invalid and are hinted as others have the invalid records in their tree.
It may be the Australian stuff is ok back to William & Catherine Luddy but you need something confirming their parents names eg a death or marriage Cert and something confirming where he came from rather than stabbing in the dark pre-emigration.

Libraries may have access to Ancestry if you don't have a sub.

For what it is worth 1837 marriage cert image https://www.ancestry.com.au/discoveryui-content/view/90849535:62237
https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/person/tree/171680903/person/212228186132/facts is one that suggests William and Mary emigrated to Australia and had the son who married Catherine Luddy - in Victoria.
However, the only William Thompson with a mother Dale was born Guisborough 1850.
The one born 1848 Barnsley had mother Mahon or Ashirst.
For England the GRO's own website contains mother's maiden surnames from 1837 which are not in the original period indexes.

From that 1837 marriage there were 2 daughters before 1841 Frances and Hannah appearing on the census https://www.ancestry.com.au/discoveryui-content/view/11924690:8978 By 1851 Frances was a 13 year old servant in Brompton by Sawdon, Scarborough and not sure where parents were, there were a lot of Thompsons in the Helmsley area in the census.