Author Topic: History of Hailey House Ownership  (Read 126 times)

Offline ljb1125

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
History of Hailey House Ownership
« on: Friday 17 November 23 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

An ancestor of mine’s will names one relative: a William Walker of ‘Haily burryhouse in Hodson, Hertfordshire’. I have deduced that he was referring to Hailey Bury in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire, which is now known as Hailey House.

The Haileybury Society website states that “In 1805, the Directors of the East India Company purchased land and the ancient Hailey Bury (or manor house) near Hailey in Hertfordshire for £5000 to build a new College for the development of young men destined for service in India.” However, the will is dated 1801 and therefore the named relative must have been living there prior to its purchase and subsequent expansion by architect William Wilkins in 1809.

Historic England states that the original building dates from 1720 and was a private dwelling until its purchase by the EIC. Another unsubstantiated source claims that William Walker was previously a surgeon in the EIC and it was he that owned the Haileybury estate. However I’m really struggling to find any records that conclusively state this information. Has anyone got any suggestions as to where I might look for further information? TIA!

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: History of Hailey House Ownership
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 23 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Des. Res!

Morning Herald, 11 Oct 1805

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 November 23 14:40 GMT (UK) »
"Ambulator: or a pocket companion in a tour round London, within the circuit of 25 miles" - published 1800 by T Gilbert

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 23 14:47 GMT (UK) »
John Carys "Itinerary; ...; Accompanied with a most extensive selection of Noblemen and Gentlemens' Seats; ..." - published 1798

Offline ljb1125

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 November 23 15:02 GMT (UK) »
John Carys "Itinerary; ...; Accompanied with a most extensive selection of Noblemen and Gentlemens' Seats; ..." - published 1798

Thank you for these snippets, very interesting! So I can be assured that William Walker actually owned it, and it was him the EIC purchased the property from. I wonder what family he came from…

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 November 23 15:22 GMT (UK) »
The earliest reference I can spot is the Chester Chronicle, 19 Jan 1798, where a "William Walker, Esq, Hailey Bury, Herts" is listed as a Trustee or Director of the Pelican Life Insurance Company.