Author Topic: Looking for parents of Abner Bennett 1863-1903 Missouri/Arkansas  (Read 338 times)

Offline MissAims82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for parents of Abner Bennett 1863-1903 Missouri/Arkansas
« on: Friday 17 November 23 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I've hit a bit of a brick wall and I'm trying to locate information about the parents of Abner B Bennett on the 1880 census it lists that he was born in Missouri and says estimated birth to be about 1863 he wasn't living with family at the time. He did marry a Lucinda Hicks around 1886 and moved to Clay Arkansas. On some newspaper articles it has listed him as AB and BA Bennett. His death from what I've seen in an article never listed his first name only stated that he had been Lucinda Bennett's husband and died around March of 1903. I can't seem to locate anything prior to the 1880 census record, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for parents of Abner Bennett 1863-1903 Missouri/Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 23 16:39 GMT (UK) »
His death certificate will have his parents names if they were known by the person giving the information.

Offline MissAims82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 November 23 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you I'll definitely try to see if I can find that. So far I've been unable to track down a death certificate for him other then what I believe is a newspaper article about his death. I've tried searching on ancestry with no luck. Any site suggestions for deaths in Arkansas circa 1903?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 23 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the civil war records for Abner Bennett (possible father) they may name children.

Offline MissAims82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 November 23 17:17 GMT (UK) »
I haven't done that yet, I'll give that a try. Thank you so much  :)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 November 23 18:15 GMT (UK) »
You most likely have tried the following, but I thought I would mention it anyway…

According to at least one family tree, Abner had several children.  The tree indicated that most had middle initials.  Were some of Abner’s children possibly named after his parents or his siblings? Have you tried looking for a Bennett family in 1870 with children (or parents) named Abner, Hershell, Virgil, Elnora, Rosie, etc.?

When researching for friends, I noticed that some of their southern ancestors moved around quite a bit and birthplaces (c1860s-1880s) were often incorrectly stated. I found this particularly true with Arkansas and Tennessee.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 November 23 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Newspaper articles referring to the death of the husband of Mrs Lucinda Bennett.

Can't attach on look up board.

See here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=878148.msg7502028#msg7502028

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline MissAims82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 November 23 18:40 GMT (UK) »
There was one record I came across that listed his birth place as Illinois so I'll give that a try too. I was unware that it was so common for the birth places to me listed incorrectly. There have been 3 locations I've seen on records so hopefully will be one of them  :). I just started looking into the military records and possible son being named after a father. I'll check to see if any of the girls are named after the mother as well.
I had come across the newspaper article about his death but wasn't sure what paper it was from. I've been a bit stuck trying to locate the death certificate. I came across one site for deaths from Arkansas but it started in 1914 unfortunately  :(.
Thank you all so much for the ideas on how to hopefully solve this mystery.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 November 23 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Arkansas didn't start statewide death registration until 1914, so there may be no death record.  There's an index that covers deaths from other records before that - https://digitalheritage.arkansas.gov/death-records-index/ - but I didn't see him in there.

There are some probate records from Clay Co., Arkansas here - https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index?owc=M7QZ-CM9%3A353249301%3Fcc%3D2061549  You would need to page through them, as there doesn't appear to be an index.