Author Topic: A lively couple!  (Read 423 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A lively couple!
« on: Friday 17 November 23 23:51 GMT (UK) »
I recently returned to see what more I could find out about what I thought was a very ordinary distant relation and discovered various stories about him and his wife in old newspapers:

- His wife sued another woman for assault and won
- He narrowly escaped drowning at sea after his brig was struck by a steamer
- His wife was a witness in a court case about a theft
- He and his wife were locked up for being drunk and disorderly
- He and his wife were taken to court for touting for lodgers on the pier

C

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: A lively couple!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 23 00:22 GMT (UK) »
That's why I love hunting through old newspapers. Such a wealth of info to be found which help pad out our understanding of our ancestor's lives.  :D

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 November 23 00:32 GMT (UK) »
I love finding odd bits in the newspapers about the people in my rather extended family -
things like in 1847, 1854, 1856 an individual held a General Game Certificate, cost 4 pounds and 10 pence. He lived in Saffron Hill, Holborn at the time and I wonder where he hunted.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 November 23 10:28 GMT (UK) »
It helps when the person you are searching for in the newspapers has a stand out name that can't be mistaken for another person. When I started online newspaper searching I made a mistake of assuming an ancestor was fined for selling beer. It wasn't until years later that I discovered that another person of the same name was living nearby in the street directories of the time who was a more likely candidate for the illegal seller with him being listed as having an 'eating house' and 'beer house' in the 1839 & 1847 directories.