Author Topic: Translation for Jewish Memorial  (Read 203 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Translation for Jewish Memorial
« on: Saturday 18 November 23 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help translating the Hebrew text on this headstone, please?
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Translation for Jewish Memorial
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 23 16:12 GMT (UK) »
The English epitaphs are near direct translations of the Hebrew text which reads:

A very honest man, our dear father Menakhem son of Binyamin was 70 years old when he died on the 3rd of the month of Tammuz 5678

Our dear and important mother Mrs. Henda daughter of Binyamin nishmato Eden [= his soul is in Eden] was 72 years old when she died on 28th of the month of Kislev 5677

The letters under each Hebrew epitaph are a standard acronym meaning 'May his/her soul be bound up in the bond of life eternal'.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Translation for Jewish Memorial
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 November 23 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Where is this?
I remember a lovely little Jewish Cemetery, part of Philip’s’ Park Cemetery, in
North Manchester ,serving the  Jewish  population from the 1800’s .
People who lived in inner city M/c,and started many of the raincoat factories near Victoria Station .
My Grandson was contracted to raise some fallen headstones clear ,overgrown bushes and grass and generally tidy it up.
His boss( his paternal grandad ) had a building company near Prestwich ,the present day area where many Jewish families live.
Grandson was doing his Joinery apprenticeship but was licensed to drive various machines .
The Rabbi phoned his paternal grandad, to say how careful and respectful the
lad had been .
Whilst there Grandson phoned me to ask where both sets of my grandparents were .
I had the numbers ,so he visited the graves,I was so pleased he had done so.  I hadn’t  been for a good while.
The Cemetery is right near to the Etihad Stadium.

Viktoria.