Author Topic: Seeking help please to unravel a puzzle and find the missing pieces.  (Read 447 times)

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking help please to unravel a puzzle and find the missing pieces.
« on: Saturday 18 November 23 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I have some mysteries around my great, great grandparents Thomas Rowe b. 1847 at Crookholm, Canonbie, Scotland and Jane Lawson/Hetherington b. 1839 at Cumrew, Cumberland, England.

Before explaining the puzzles, this is what I am trying to establish:

Was Joseph Hetherington b 1793 at Alston, Cumberland, really Jane’s blood father?
Where and when did Thomas and Jane marry as I can find no record of such a marriage?
What happened to Jane’s mother Mary after the 1861 census, especially where and when did she die?
Where is Thomas Rowe to be found on the 1871 census?

The story starts in 1832 when Joseph Hetherington’s (born 1793 at Alston, Cumberland) wife Deborah (Leach) dies at Cumrew, Cumberland and he becomes a widower aged 39 with two young daughters Elizabeth Hetherington b.1827 and Deborah Hetherington b. 1830.

In 1839 Mary Lawson b. 1796 at Braidridland, Canonbie, Scotland is in Cumrew and is already the mother of two illegitimate daughters Sarah Lawson b. 1831 at Canonbie, Scotland and Mary (jnr) Lawson b. 1836 at Alston, Cumberland. On 14th October 1839 Mary gives birth to a third a daughter who she names Jane.

On 16th October 1839 Joseph Hetherington still of Cumrew registered Jane’s birth as Jane Hetherington and declares himself the father. Mary Lawson is recorded as the mother.

The baptism however records Jane being baptised on 24th November 1839 as Jane Lawson D. of Mary, Cumrew, single woman. No father is mentioned.

In the 1841 census we find Joseph Hetherington 45, Mary Lawson 40, Deborah Hetherington 11 years (D. from his first marriage) and Jane Hetherington aged 1 at Ainstable in Cumberland.

Joseph’s eldest daughter Elizabeth and Mary’s eldest daughter Sarah are not listed with them. Mary’s illegitimate middle child, also named Mary appears to be residing as a 3 year old with a John Gill and his family in Alston, Cumberland (perhaps her father or grandfather?)

By 1851, still in Ainstable, Joseph Hetherington is listed as head and Mary Lawson is listed as his unmarried Housekeeper. Mary aged 15 is now listed as Mary Hetherington putting her as born in 1836 when Mary Lawson had her illegitimate middle daughter Mary. Mary’s eldest illegitimate daughter is listed as Sarah Lawson, a lodger. Jane is now listed as Jane Lawson aged 11, also a lodger and no longer listed as his daughter.

By 1861, again still in Ainstable, Joseph is head and a widower. Jane is now back to being his daughter and listed as Jane Hetherington aged 21. Jane’s mother Mary is listed as Mary Lawson, an unmarried servant housekeeper.

Joseph dies later in 1861. He leaves most of his estate to his two daughters, Elizabeth and Deborah from his marriage to Deborah Leach. He lists them both clearly in his will as ‘my daughter’ He leaves his housekeeper Mary Lawson a small sum of money. He leaves Jane a bed and some bedding and makes no mention of her being a daughter.

I would be grateful to gather opinions about whether more people think Joseph was Mary’s blood father or not? I have my own, fairly strong view but am very interested to learn what others think to see if that acccords with my own opinion. I am also keen to understand what happened to poor Mary.

Jane herself had an illegitimate son Joseph (who is later recorded as being blind - such tough lives our ancestors lived) in 1865.

In 1871 Jane is listed as unmarried, an agricultural labourer and living as head with her son Joseph and two lodgers in Ainstable.

My great, great grandfather Thomas Rowe, last previously found as listed in the 1861 census in Canonbie, Scotland appears in Ainstable and has 4 children there with Jane between 1872 to 1880. I cannot find Thomas in the 1871 census but by August 1872 (conception late 1871) he is father to Jane’s daughter Mary Elizabeth Rowe who was born in Ainstable. Was he in Ainstable in 1871 or did Jane visit Canonbie, her ancestral roots, and have a dalliance with young Thomas? Either way they ended up spending their lives together in Ainstable and raising their four children plus Jane’s illegitimate and blind son Joseph.

Census returns from 1881 record Thomas and Jane as married. The 1911 census records that marriage as having been for 38 years suggesting a marriage date around 1873. The problem is that I simply cannot find a marriage. Maybe someone with a fresh pair of eyes on this can help me? There is a marriage of a Thomas Rowe in Carlisle in 1874 but the other three names listed are nothing like Lawson or Hetherington.

I am very interested to hear anyone’s opinions about this case or, indeed, if anyone can come up with anything I may have missed or suggest any other lines of enquiry.

Thank you in anticipation of any views, information or suggestions.

Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help please to unravel a puzzle and find the missing pieces.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 23 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Marriage

Thomas Row married Jane Lawson Jun 1872 Penrith 10b 665
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 November 23 13:27 GMT (UK) »
 Emeltom,

Thank you so much. How on earth I missed this I have no idea. I must have searched Ancestry and Free BMD twenty times. Obviously, I couldn’t see the wood for the trees.

I will be ordering that marriage certificate faster than a cat who has just seen a mouse drinking his milk!!

Really grateful to you and absolutely delighted, albeit a touch embarrassed at my own ineptitude.

Can I ask which site you found it indexed at?

Anyhow now I just need to find Thomas on the 1871, understand what happened to Mary after 1861 and decide if Jane’s dad was Joseph Hetherington.
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 November 23 14:02 GMT (UK) »
It is on FreeBMD. I just put in Thomas Rowe and Jane Lawson and clicked on the 'Phonetic search surnames' button.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 23 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you emeltom,

I need to remember to use the phonetic search option.

I made a more determined search tonight for Mary Lawson's death. After a couple of hours of failure on Ancestry and FindMyPast I finally found it in 1870 in Penrith on FreeBMD. My search skills need some attention but even so, I still had trouble getting Ancestry to bring it up in the search results. 

Thanks again. You have really catapulted me forward with my research.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 23 22:39 GMT (UK) »
1841 Sarah is in Ainstable. transcribed by Ancestry as Sarah Reherington aged 10 b Scotland. She is actually in the Hetherington/Lawson household, immediately below Jane Lawson, is but indexed as a separate household on Ancestry. It's pretty feint on the image so no sure if it does read Hetherington.

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 November 23 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Great spot Mabel,

Wow that is written so faintly. Thank you.

A relative who I consulted about this yesterday actually had Thomas Rowe and Jane's marriage certificate. Jane married as Jane Lawson not Hetherington and the space for father's name and profession is left blank.

All I need now is to find Thomas Rowe in the 1871 census although I am interested to fathom what happened to Mary Lawson jnr, the middle child of Mary Lawson snr b illegitimately at Alston in 1836.

I would really welcome very much peoples opinion, however differing, about whether Joseph Hetherington was the father of Sarah Lawson/Hetherington.

Joseph being her father is supported by:
The birth certificate
The 1841 census
The 1861 census
The 1871 census

Joseph NOT being her father is supported by:
The baptism
The 1851 census
Jane's marriage certificate
Joseph's will

Thank you all again.