Author Topic: Tuam  (Read 773 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tuam
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 12:04 GMT (UK) »
One of the military records for James Finlay of the 9th Dragoons shows him having died on 16 January 1864, the relevant death record shows place of death as 34 Cook Street, Glasgow, his reported age was 81, his occupation was something in Customs (I can't make it out) and there's a comment to say 'married to Sarah Hunter', in addition, James' parents were identified as James Finlay a farmer and Sarah Hutton, both deceased.   

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting Gaffy.

As I said I need to speak with my cousin, but he did die about that time, as far as I know, he did live in Glasgow in 1861. In the late 1840's/50's he was a Tidewaiter, so things seem to be fitting together.

Can I ask where this Military Record can be found. I found some, but not this one.

Thanks again, Eric.

Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Tidewaiter, of course, 'Tidewaiter Customs' is what it says on James' death record, it looks so obvious once one knows what to look for. Wm. Finlay the son was the informant and the district that Cook Street was in was written as Tradeston.

James' date of death came from the 'Ancestry' website's collection called 'UK Royal Hospital Chelsea Admission Books, Registers and Papers, 1702-1980', under the page headed 9th Regiment of Dragoons, it lists his name, an admission date of 22 September 1814, a residence of Glasgow and the comment 'Died 16/1' in the column marked '1864'.

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gaffy. Thought I'd looked in that lot. However, you all seem to have cracked it. J F did die in 1864 in Glasgow and in 1861 was in Tradestown area.

All the bits fit together; his death, job, wife and the Baptisms. Easy when you know where to look. And, we all now know where Tuam is in Donegal.

Many thanks to all of you. Regards, Eric.
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent