Author Topic: Tuam  (Read 774 times)

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tuam
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 November 23 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The National Archives Title Applotments lists Parishes in Co. Donegal.  In Lettermacaward Parish, a list of its townlands is shown - and "Tuam" is mentioned.

See
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/pagestab/Donegal/Lettermacaward/

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 November 23 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks LH. Something else to look into.

Do you know if the Tuam that's mentioned would be a small settlement, especially in the early 1800's?
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Online Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 November 23 17:21 GMT (UK) »

Do you know if the Tuam that's mentioned would be a small settlement, especially in the early 1800's?

Toome townland in the OSi National Townland and Historical Map Viewer. No Toome settlement.

Click 'Accept' and 'OK'. Click 'X' in the black band (if present).
Select MapGenie 6 Inch First Edition (in Colour) (1829-1841) in Basemap Gallery.
Enlarge by clicking '+'. Pan in all directions.

https://arcg.is/1WG0iH

OpenStreetMap
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5580323#map=12/54.8685/-8.3167

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 November 23 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi ele002

Yes there are only 20 names listed in Tuam, Donegal, according to the National Archives Tithes (1823-1837), so a small townland.

Happy hunting

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 November 23 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to you all for solving the mystery of Tuam, but, of course, it's of no value if my Jas Finlay wasn't from there.

The hard bit now will be establishing where the Finlays were from. There were 6 children all born Donegal and I'm hoping if I can find them on Censuses through the years that one of them will have put a town instead of just Donegal. Easier said than done. I've done 3 with no success.

Are any Parish Records for the area available? The last 2 were born 1833/37.

Thanks again, Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 November 23 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I had a glance at RootsIreland and the only two baptisms I could see for a father called James Finlay back in that era were Presbyterian ones ('Dunfanaghy' district?) for Margretta born and baptised in 1831 and William born and baptised in 1833, the father James Finlay was recorded as a policeman / sergeant and the mother was recorded as Sarah Hunter.  The location was 'Lisfannan' and 'Lesfannan' and the only two possibilities I can see for that are townlands in Burt CP and Fahan Upper CP... which are nowhere near Dunfanaghy.

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 November 23 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Gaffy...that's very interesting. This Jas Finlay was supposed to have married a Sarah Hunter, but Margretta or even Margaret doesn't appear on the Censuses in Scotland, but she may have died young. There is a gap of about 5 years in the children at that time.

I need to have another good sit down with my cousin and try to find out where he's got his info from.

Interesting though. Thanks, Eric.

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

The Title Applotments I referred to earlier show just three Finlay names in Donegal - Robt, Robert and Jas (James).  See:-

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=Finlay&firstname=&county=Donegal&parish=&townland=&search=Search

What religion was your Finlay guy?

No need to provide links to these areas until you decide whether any are likely candidates.

Regards

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Finlays do seem a bit thin on the ground in the area.

As for religion, I'm not sure, but I don't think any were Catholic at any time.

As I said earlier, I need to have a good chat with my cousin to find out where he got his info from. The William baptism with Sarah Hunter as the Mother looks very promising, although the Father as a Policeman is news. But, if he was a Corporal in the Army, then maybe going on to be a Policeman may not be too much of a stretch.

Thanks, Eric.