Author Topic: 2 Elisabeths or the Same Person living in Rowington  (Read 444 times)

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2 Elisabeths or the Same Person living in Rowington
« on: Saturday 18 November 23 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Whilst researching a branch of my family tree who lived in the village of Rowington I came across the following Parish register entries.
1692 27th December John Lea and Elisabeth Resen were married.  There then followed entries giving the baptism of their children Mary in 1693, Henry in 1695, John 1697, Humphrey 1704 and Thomas 1708.
3 years later there are 2 entries  that read 1711 Elisabeth the base daughter of Elisabeth Resen Baptised June 26 followed by 1711 Elisabeth the base daughter of Elisabeth Resen buried 29th June.
I assume that by base it means illegitimate. Now not knowing John Lea's death date again I assume that the father of the child is someone else and she was born after his death or was she the result of an adulterous liason between his wife and someone else. Whatever the reason why is the entry in her maiden name? It would seem to me highly unlikely that there would be another person with the same name living in the same village at the same time.
Any comments anyone?
Madden, Cunningham, Webb, Upton, Kinsey, Askew

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Elisabeths or the Same Person living in Rowington
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 23 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Theoretically the Elizabeth Resen who married in 1692 could have been a widow with a daughter Elizabeth.
That Elizabeth has a baseborn child in 1711.

Or Elizabeth has an older brother who has a daughter Elizabeth.  The Resen surname has to come from somewhere and what seems an unusual surname does not preclude a whole cluster of people with the same first names also.

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 23 08:04 GMT (UK) »
If Elisabeth Resen did have a daughter also named Elisabeth by her lawful husband John Lea then that daughter would have the surname Lea.
I do take your point that maybe the base daughter could have been the child of perhaps of an unmarried cousin or niece named Elisabeth. I hadn't thought of that.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 23 08:17 GMT (UK) »
If Elisabeth Resen did have a daughter also named Elisabeth by her lawful husband John Lea then that daughter would have the surname Lea.

Yes, I know that.

I suggested that Elizabeth had been married lawfully to a Mr Resen before she married Mr Lea.  Elizabeth and Mr Resen had a daughter Elizabeth born before 1692 and of a very suitable age to have an illegitimate child in 1711.

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 November 23 08:25 GMT (UK) »
I see your point, sorry. Yes that's right. I'll go through the Parish Register and see if I can find a marriage prior to the John Lea marriage in 1692.

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 November 23 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Have looked through Rowington Parish records from 1670 and no mention of the name Resen until marriage with John Lea. However Elisabeth is listed as coming from Claverdon a nearby parish so I will need to look through Calaverdon's parish records (if possible) to find a possible prior marriage or baptism of daughter.

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 November 23 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Good morning
I've had a look at this and I think Elizabeth Resen with the illegitimate daughter was your Elizabeth's niece.
Firstly it looks like John was still alive in 1713.
Elizabeth d of John Lea of Rowington was buried 22.7.1713 at Lapworth .Strange wording if he had already died.
Then their son Henry looks like he was buried at Lapworth
Henry Lea of Rowington buried 23.11.1722 .No mention of parents either because John had died or because Henry was and adult.

Secondly their is an Elizabeth Reasen bapt 15.10.1690 at Lapwoth  d of Josiah and  his wife gap written in faintly Eliza Resen . I think that is her and she went on to marry at Claverdon Sam Tompson 18.12.1712.

While I can't spot a baptism c 1660-1676 for your Elizabeth ,there seems to be one family at Claverdon.
Thomas Resen bapt 5.12.1631 son of Robert ,married Lucy Hargrave 10.19.1655
Children Maria /Mary 11.6.1654 married John Loe Clavendon 22.6.1673 by licence
            Job 23.11.1657 who married Mary Weaver 20.5.1694 and was buried 25.5.1717
            Children Josiah 19.11.1695,John 6.9.1696-7.9.1696 (apparently gravestone survives)
           ,Thomas 1.11.1697-18.12.1721,Josiah 22.3.1706-28.3.1707 Elizabeth 25.7.1711-6.11.1725
            Josiah 29.5.1663 who married Anne Phillips 24.4.1687 She died 5.2.1723 and him
           Children at Lapworth,Calverdon and Rowington
            Thomas 25.1.1688 ,Elizabeth 15.10.1690 Lapworth with Eliz?,Josiah 18.2.1693 Row ,Anne
            21.5.1696 Row, Job 18.6.1701 Row, William 20.6.1703 Row ,John 30.12.1706 Rowington.

So it would fit nicely if Elizabeth was their sister and d of Thomas and Lucy .Somewhere in the gap of baptisms in the parish records 1666-1670 .

Thomas is on the Heath Tax returns  1663 1  1670 and 1672 4 hearths 1674 1
There is a Will for him at SOA apparently
Probate of the will of Thomas Reason of Claverdon, yeoman, whereby he devised his estate at Lapworth (which he had purchased from William Southerne and Barbara his wife) to his wife Lucy for her life if she so long remained a widow, and if she should remarry then he devised to his said wife out of the said estate at Lapworth a yearly rent charge of £5 for her life payable by the testator's son, Job Reason; and he devised to his said wife his messuage and lands in Yarningale in the parish of Claverdon for her life and, after her death, to his son Josiah; and he bequeathed to his wife £14 and one feather bed, bolster, pillows, hilling, blankets, two pairs of the best sheets, curtains, valances, bedstead and all other furniture thereto belonging; and he bequeathed to his daughter Elizabeth, £160 and one feather bed etc., and to his son Josiah and his wife 5 shillings apiece, to their children Thomas and Elizabeth 10 shillings apiece, and to his son-in-law, John Lowe, and every of his children, 12 pence apiece; and all the residue of his real and personal estate to his said son Job and his heirs for ever.

Witnesses: William Parker, John Cox and Anne Parker.

Proved at Worcester 19 October 1672 by Job Reason.

Grant of administration of the goods and chattels of Thomas Reason, not administered by Job Reason, to John Reason, great-grandson and only next of kin of Thomas Reason, 6 May 1780.
Job is a yeoman on a 1704 juror list.

No sign of John Lea over at Rowington .
The only Leas of Rowington I can see 1600s (besides what you have)
Mary d of William and Margaret of Rowington buried Lapworth 19.6.1689
John buried Rowington 8.10.1673.

But the Resens seem to hang together.
what do you think?

Ciderdrinker

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 November 23 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi me again
Looks like the Leas were from Lapworth.
John bapt 7.11.1666 Lapworth s of William and Margaret Lea
siblings Humphrey 24.1.1669 and Marie 26.7.1664.

William died young 1.4.1671  of Bushwood .Admin at Worcester.
4 Hearths on the Hearth tax for William and his widow.

No sign of his marriage but a bapt 8.12.1632 s of Henry at Lapworth

Henry buried 26.6.1670 of Knoll
marriage 15.5.1620 to Elinor Cowrey alias Oake.
Children  Anne 11.11.1621,Jane 28.11.1624,Mary 1.10.1626 John 2.11.1628-8.7.1657,Humphrey 26.12.1630 and William 8.12 1632

You probably already have all that.I know it's not what you asked for ,but I was so chuffed to find it I just had to pass it on.

all the best
Ciderdrinker

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 November 23 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Wow Ciderdrinker you have been busy and thanks for all your hard work. I've only just glanced at this at the moment and I need to study all the info a lot more. John Lea husband of Elizabeth Resen is as far back as I have researched as yet and the info you have provided will be like gold dust enabling me to trace my family ancestors even further.
Once again my thanks.
Greenvale