Author Topic: Edinburgh addresses (Castlehill and Lawnmarket)  (Read 379 times)

Offline EdinKath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edinburgh addresses (Castlehill and Lawnmarket)
« on: Saturday 18 November 23 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I’m trying to pinpoint the exact location of three addresses - one Castlehill, and two Lawnmarket, and hoping someone can help.

392 Castlehill in 1851: Today the highest (even) number building on Castlehill is 356, (the Cannonball restaurant immediately before the Esplanade). Freecen shows Castlehill even numbers went up to 410 in 1851 and Blair Close was at 404. Did Castlehill buildings used to extend onto the Esplanade? Was there a major renumbering at some point?

395 Lawnmarket in 1861: would this have been where the High Court is now?

489 Lawnmarket in 1861: Today 477B is Gladstone’s Land NTS property and the building next door to is is 491. Would 489 have been what is now Gladstone’s Land? Might it have been behind Gladstone’s Land in James Court? Or has the area been renumbered?

Thank you!

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Edinburgh addresses (Castlehill and Lawnmarket)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 23 17:26 GMT (UK) »
In the early directories (up to 1844) CastleHill and Lawnmarket are listed as part of High Street which may account for the numbering.

As to re numbering in the mid to late 19th century many Scottish towns moved their numbering systems to conform to the requirements of the post office.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 November 23 23:11 GMT (UK) »
One thing you could do is to use the Post Office Directories https://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/archive/91168907 for Edinburgh.

You get clues often from the listings of a particular address where the various side streets cut through the street you are looking at and this can help to fix house numbers at that time.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 November 23 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Not sure of the year, but this might also help in getting your bearings once you have more details www.edinphoto.org.uk/PP_D/pp_hay_wj_leaflet_royal_mile_map.htm#start

This site is brilliant overall for Edinburgh!

Added: Map date is given as early 20th C.

Monica

Offline Unë kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 23 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest a look at HISTORIC ENVIRONMENT SCOTLAND.     Designation Map search.

1855 valuation roll = 489 Lawnmarket - Refreshment Rooms and 5 Houses

Offline EdinKath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 23 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone.
The post office directories have helped with where 395 Lawnmarket was. Numbers between 379 and 435 look to have been demolished to build St Giles Street and the High Court.

The post office directory has Lady Stair’s Close at 477 and James Court at 493. Canmore says that Gladstone’s Land is 481, 483, 485, 487 and 489 Lawnmarket (https://canmore.org.uk/site/52528/edinburgh-481-483-485-487-and-489-lawnmarket-gladstones-land) so 489 must have been part of that building, though I don’t know which bit.

I’m still not sure about Castlehill. The highest even number on Castlehill in the 1861 post office directory was 384. I assume people had to pay to be listed so there may have been other buildings but the residents could not afford, or had no need, to be in the directory.
Thanks again.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 November 23 18:40 GMT (UK) »
From the 1851 Directory https://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/archive/83129247?mode=transcription you have listed:

Boswell's court, 392 Castlehill
Brown's court, 396 Castlehill
Blyth's close, 517 Castlehill

Lots of references to Castlehill here www.allaboutedinburgh.co.uk/castlehill-edinburgh  There is a mention to 'Boswell's Court'.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 November 23 19:28 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if Boswell's Court at 392 Castlehill was renumbered over the years and in now 352 Castlehill?

See https://thirdeyetraveller.com/boswells-court-edinburgh/

Monica

Offline EdinKath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 November 23 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica. I'd missed the street index at the beginning and had been looking at the main listings for Castlehill and finding very few addresses included. Great to know 392 was Boswell's Court.

You're right about Castlehill being renumbered - I've just checked more directories and Boswell's Court was 392 in 1866 and 352 in 1867!