Author Topic: William Anderson and Alice Maud Lee or Howell, Poplar, married 1914  (Read 251 times)

Offline Sally4x

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Anderson and Alice Maud Lee or Howell, Poplar, married 1914
« on: Saturday 18 November 23 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am confused and stuck on this couple on my tree. I have ordered the marriage certificate, but it hasn't come yet. William Anderson married Alice Maud Howell in Poplar in 4th quarter 1914. They had the following four children: Joseph William b 1916, Christina Elizabeth b 1918, Francis Peter b 1921 and Stanley born 1924. All the births are registered in Poplar. However for the births of three of the children Alice's maiden name is Lee and for the birth of Christina it's Howell. I presumed that Alice Maud had been born Lee and had a previous husband Howell, but I have been unable to find a marriage for that.

On the children's' baptisms, William is listed as a shipwright.

On the 1939 census Alice is a widow and is with her three youngest children still in Poplar. Her birthdate is given as 24th Oct 1880. I know these can sometimes be a year of so out, but I'm sticking with that for now. I have four a possible death for Alice in Poplar on 1965.

I have been unable to find any information about William and I am really confused about who Alice Maud actually is  - Lee or Howell.

If anyone has access to records in Poplar could look this up for me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Anderson and Alice Maud Lee or Howell, Poplar, married 1914
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 23 16:52 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the family on the 1921 census you will see that as well as the Anderson children you mention there are also three Howell step-children.

They appear to be part of this family in 1911. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWPX-YR1

Looking at the births of the two younger children on the GRO site the mother's maiden surname is Lee.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 November 23 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Alice Maud Lee married Thomas William Howell 3rd q. 1906, Poplar 1c, 1005.

Thomas William Howell died 4th q. 1911, Poplar 5c, 172, aged 38.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sally4x

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 November 23 18:07 GMT (UK) »
How did I not see that?! That’s great thanks!

William was born in Lerwick, Shetland. That’s a huge step. I had been looking all over London!