Author Topic: Poffley/Pauffley/Rosier-Poffley. Hungerford/Surrounding areas.  (Read 251 times)

Offline Colleen23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poffley/Pauffley/Rosier-Poffley. Hungerford/Surrounding areas.
« on: Saturday 18 November 23 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Would like to hear from anybody with connection to any of these names from Berks/Wilts any years. Also any help with my 35 year brick wall John Rosier or Poffley bap abt. 1740/41. Thanks.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Poffley/Pauffley/Rosier-Poffley. Hungerford/Surrounding areas.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 23 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colleen23,

I see no-one has replied yet so I will respond.

In my tree I do have some "Rosier/Rosiere/Phauffley" etc. who in  the main appear to come from the Shefford/Fawley  areas of West Berks, but they only start about early 1800's.

I haven't pursued this side of the family so can't comment further.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 December 23 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colleen23,

Xmas greetings,

Are you still interested in finding John Rosier about 1740/41 in West Berks?

I ask because on expanding my entry of James Rosier/Poughley in 1777, Avington, Berks  in my tree, I found his parents John Rosier & Mary (Hicks) married in Avington 1769.

John Rosier bapt. 24-2-1738/9 Kintbury, was the s/o Daniel & Sarah (White).

I can add some children if you would like them.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Colleen23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ribbo39
Alan, I have done extensive research on John and Mary (Hicks)  I did some research on Daniel and Sarah (White) but dismissed them as being John's parents, mainly because of the Rosier/Poffley connection.... I'm sure you have come across the entry in the Hungerford Parish Register for John son of John Rosier 16th January 1740 and an entry for John base born son of Elizabeth Poffley 15th January 1746, I haven't seen the original entry myself but somebody told me that the second entry was on the next page, so possibly baptised in both family names and a transcribers error??  Half our ancestors are Rosier and the other Poffley, my Great Grandfather never knew which name to use.  I have had my dna tested but that's not been helpful, though I do match with John and Mary's descendants.  I shall have another look at my notes on Daniel and Sarah again, it could be that I have been looking for the same thing for so long I'm blinded to what could be obvious.  I see you are following the surname Froude, I have Thomas Rosier and Mercy Froude on my tree.  Look forward to hearing from you.
Lynda.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 December 23 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynda,

Sorry for not replying earlier but didn't receive a Rootschat notification of your reply.

Yes - I have Emma Froude who married my g/grandfather Frederick Belcher in 1882. As a result I have managed to collect quite a few "Froud/Froude/Frude" entries which includes Mercy Froude married to Thomas Rosier (s/o Henry Phauffley Rosier & Mary Ann Prater). Its about this time that the extra names of
Pofley/Poughley/Phauffley started to appear

I  think I have added as  much to  my tree as I can other than fill in details of various children's lives, marriages etc.

I haven't looked at the Hungerford registers so not aware of those entries you list.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Colleen23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 December 23 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan
Yes it's a bit of a pain messaging like this, I did keep checking for your reply because on my email it states that they don't always send notifications.  I wish there was some other way to message but not sure about sharing emails. 
Henry Phauffley Rosier is my 2x Great Grandfather's Brother, 2x is William Pauffley 1818.  Their parents James Rosier Poffley and Mary Bradley died 1820, Mary was buried the same day her new born son George Poffley was baptised, he was brought up by his Uncle John Rosier Poffley and his wife Caroline, George married Mary Cox.  James (3x) was born in Avington. Berks in 1777, in the parish register the entry is noted as James Rosier, all the children were baptised Rosier, though it seems they used Poffley in every day life with Rosier as an alias.  James's father John married Mary Hicks in Avington Berks 1769 but this entry was for John Posley(Poffley), Mary was the Parish Clerk (one of only two in the country at that time) at Avington, she held this position for about 25 yrs, I have seen it written that Mary was "Of this Parish but from Hungerford." I haven't been able to find anything about her in Hungerford though.  Her son John b.1781 took over as Parish Clerk when she retired.  This is where the trail ends, I can't seem to find a John Rosier or John Poffley that could be John's father, or his mother, I have lots of maybe's but nothing to back it up. 
I've been at this for 30 odd years, if it takes me another 30 years I will be old enough to ask him myself lol!!
Are you on Ancestry?  Maybe I could look out for you.

Lynda.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 December 23 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,
Just got your reply.
Now you have made 3 posts you can now use the PM system - Private Messaging - all you do is to is to click on the "my messages" tab on this page and send a message.

I will send a quick post to you now.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk