Author Topic: Ann Stone 1861 Census son or lodger?  (Read 149 times)

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Stone 1861 Census son or lodger?
« on: Sunday 19 November 23 11:30 GMT (UK) »
on the 1861 Census for Wilsford, Wiltshire, i have Ann Stone - Widow - Living with son George and Grandson Joseph.
But I can't tell if Thomas Stone is her son or lodger....she does have a son Thomas, but he is living with his wife Jane and son John.
In the same house??  Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Also what is the birthplace for Jane?

It's RG 9/307
Steptoe  Morland  Morley  Ellis  Brewer  Seymour  Davis  Kempster  Cox  Jennings  Morgans  Edwards Powell Thatcher Brewer Withers Ferris Strode Kingston Goddard Heath Fishlake

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Stone 1861 Census son or lodger?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 23 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes they are living at the same address, Thomas originally recorded as 'Head' which is crossed out and replaced by 'Lodger'.  Jane's place of birth is All Cannings, Wiltshire.

Debra  :)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 23 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think birthplace is All Cannings Wiltshire. Looks like Thomas, Jane and John is one little family living in the same house.Sounds very feasible it could be her son but a the original entry was Head for Thomas he would nt be named as son to Ann ( if you see what I mean).
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 23 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Not all sites have the same quality of images, but having looked at one of the better ones, I agree with Debra/Dundee.

Note the single line between Joseph and Thomas - this denotes a separate household within the same dwelling, so in one sense Thomas was Head, but in relation to Ann he was a Lodger. (Jane's birthplace is written Allcannings.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk