Author Topic: Merchant navy query  (Read 176 times)

Offline Emilyk98

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Merchant navy query
« on: Sunday 19 November 23 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for advice on how to gather information about a merchant navy seaman. The person in question is my husbands grandad. I have a photograph of his Seaman’s Record Book and Certificates of Discharge as well as his identity number (I presume?) which starts with an R. I am wanting to find out what ships he may have been on. Is this possible with little information? Are there any sites that would hold this information? Thanks

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant navy query
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 January 24 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Merchant Navy records are held in the Fourth Register of Seamen (1913 - 1940) Most personal cards from WW1 have not survived so the series is effectively 1918 - 1940.

From January 1941 a new Fifth Register of Seamen was started and ran until 1972. This series holds MN CRS 10 forms.

The Fourth Register of Seamen have their original cards held at Southampton City Archives with copies held in microfiche at TNA Kew and on paysite FindMyPast.

Some seamen's records transcend both registers. Some are available online others you have to visit Kew or use a researcher (CRS 10 forms) as they can be expensive to obtain using the TNA paid research services.

Crew Agreements are another good source of tracing seamen especially in periods prior to 1940 as the Fourth Register of Seamen does contain some mistakes and omissions.

It really depends on which years he served in the MN so you can know where to look. Happy to help you if you require it. I would need a name and date and place of birth or that R number to check for you though.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO