Author Topic: Greenock - James L. Wilson  (Read 418 times)

Offline joseph.mcmahon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greenock - James L. Wilson
« on: Monday 20 November 23 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking if anyone can help me find out as much as I can about the above named: James L. Wilson.

I was recently made aware of this man and that he was a Violin Maker originally from Galston but who made his instruments in Greenock (at 20 Octavia Cottages, which is in the area of East Crawford Street).

I know that he was born 13th April, 1847 and was based in Greenock at least from 1890s to 1900s. There is mention of him winning awards for an exhibit of his Violins at a Greenock Exhibition in 1893 although I do not know the specific date this occurred. He was also clearly a very active maker: based on a facsimile of his marking inside an instrument he went from his 19th instrument in 1899 to 54th in 1907.

From a search on Scotland's People, I have been able to find an 1891 census record with a James L. Wilson with the correct age, signature (comparing to the facsimile) and place of birth. Further, the area recorded (Greenock East) would also suggest this is the person I am looking for.

I have also checked Post Office Directories up to 1912 (the latest available to view) and there is a James L. Wilson consistently noted at an address of 66 East Crawfurd Street (assuming the 'u' was swapped for an 'o' at some point in time). This would suggest to me to be the person I am looking for.

Any information that can be provided would be much appreciated (knowing when he died, or how I might figure that out would be a good start).

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Greenock - James L. Wilson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 18:39 GMT (UK) »
His work is beautiful!

https://www.bromptons.co/reference/photography/details/violin-by-james-wilson-scottish-1907.html

On SP in the valuations section you see James Wilson throughout the years you mentioned. He was there in 1905 and in to 1915 but not in 1920.

Here is what I would think would be his death and birth ... but there seems to be violin making missing if this was the case...

Here is his death of what looks like James L Wilson:

WILSON

JAMES LENNOX

LENNOX
M
564 / 1 / 459
Greenock East

His baptism  ...

WILSON

JAMES

JOHN WILSON/JANET LENNOX FR863 (FR863)
M
04/06/1847
40 / 273
Galston

Is that baptism and death the same info you have for James L Wilson the violin maker?

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 19:27 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 he is shown as an insurance agent & in 1901 he is a gamekeeper.  1901 he is at 20 Octavia Cottages with 5 of his children.  Looks like he is a widower

The 1901 entry shows his full name & birthplace so no doubt it's him
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 19:37 GMT (UK) »
He was born in Galston, April 13, 1847, and he works at 20 Octavia Cottages, Greenock. He is not a professional maker, albeit his work has not a trace of the amateur about it. Nothing can be more true to the original than his copies of Gasparo da Salo, nor more beautifully finished than his last half-a-dozen instruments. He got a few lessons in violin-making from the late John A. Mann, and being of an artistic turn of mind, he soon made progress. He can paint very fairly in oil and water-colours, and he generally draws a bust of himself with indelible ink on the back of the violin under the button. His work as an amateur violin-maker is of great merit, and will bring him considerable fame by-and-by if he perseveres with it. He won the gold medal for an exhibit of violins at the Greenock Exhibition, 1893.

Looks like violin making was more of a hobby...

What type of info were you hoping to learn about James. L Wilson?
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - birth info already given above

Looks like he took his mmn as a second christian name as he was registered just as James Wilson
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 19:53 GMT (UK) »
1851 transcribed as Jame Wilson aged 4 b Galston with parents John & Janet & several siblings

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 20:12 GMT (UK) »
James Lennox Wilson's parents John Wilson and Janet Lennox married 09/09/1838 at Galston.

Parents of John Wilson:

WILSON JOHN
JOHN WILSON/JANET NEILSON FR499 (FR499)
M
03/08/1817
20 / 351
Galston

Offline joseph.mcmahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 20:15 GMT (UK) »
His work is beautiful!

https://www.bromptons.co/reference/photography/details/violin-by-james-wilson-scottish-1907.html

On SP in the valuations section you see James Wilson throughout the years you mentioned. He was there in 1905 and in to 1915 but not in 1920.

Here is what I would think would be his death and birth ... but there seems to be violin making missing if this was the case...

WILSON

JAMES LENNOX

LENNOX
M
564 / 1 / 459
Greenock East

His baptism  ...

WILSON

JAMES

M
04/06/1847
40 / 273
Galston

Is that baptism and death the same info you have for James L Wilson the violin maker?

Yes those would seem to make sense. Being born in April, June would seem to be quite a long gap between birth and baptism (for the time period anyway). However, after my original post I did then come across a death certificate which matches the dates you gave. So I would think that yes, this is the same person.

It is odd that Violin Maker/Musical Instrument Maker doesn't seem to ever appear officially. He is noted in a book of British violin makers across the country, so he was known enough to be included in that.

Offline joseph.mcmahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 20:17 GMT (UK) »
His work is beautiful!

WILSON

JAMES LENNOX

LENNOX
M
564 / 1 / 459
Greenock East

His baptism  ...

WILSON

JAMES

M
04/06/1847
40 / 273
Galston

His work is beautiful physically and sounds beautiful also. I was lucky enough to play on one of his instruments when I recently purchased a new Violin myself. It was like chocolate.

This is partly why I am now trying to find out as much about his life as I can, now I know he exists he deserves far more recognition.