Author Topic: Adamson, Gainford  (Read 708 times)

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adamson, Gainford
« on: Tuesday 21 November 23 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am a volunteer researcher for the Quilters’ Guild of Great Britain. The Guild has a museum collection of quilts, and it asks members who have some experience of genealogy research to research the quilt makers. I am currently researching Jane Ann Adamson (nee Dawson) of Gainford, near Darlington in County Durham, who lived between 1870 and 1952. I have been able to find out a lot about her: BMD records, censuses, wills and so on are available to me on Ancestry. However, I have two questions that I wonder if anyone can help me with.
Jane Ann married Ernest Clifford Adamson in 1901. He was a builder and continued a company that seems to have been built up by his father in the late nineteenth century. The company and family papers are in the Durham Archives, which is currently closed pending a relocation. Their extensive online catalogue suggests a very large and successful company, but I am wondering what happened to it. There is no-such company now, so it closed sometime since the 1930s. Does anyone have any idea why, and what happened?
My second question concerns Jane Ann’s role as Job Secretary to the Gainford and District Nursing Association. This is mentioned in a press cutting from 1946. Does anyone know what this association might have been? Was it a trade union, a professional organisation, or even a business? Again, there are papers in the Durham archives, currently inaccessible.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adamson, Gainford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Indeed it might.
Kent. Spendiff

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 15:17 GMT (UK) »
My second question concerns Jane Ann’s role as Job Secretary to the Gainford and District Nursing Association. This is mentioned in a press cutting from 1946. Does anyone know what this association might have been? Was it a trade union, a professional organisation, or even a business? Again, there are papers in the Durham archives, currently inaccessible.

Is this any use? https://qniheritage.org.uk/history/district-nursing-associations/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 17:12 GMT (UK) »
If it's of any use to you, a search on the excellent 'Teesdale Mercury' newspaper archives reveals that she was elected to the Gainford District Nursing Society committee in 1923,
http://teesdalemercuryarchive.org/pdf/1923/May-02/May-02-1923-05.pdf#search=%22district%20nursing%20association%22 see penultimate article in 'Local and Other News'

She was secretary by 1933 (her name is partially lost in the centre fold)
http://teesdalemercuryarchive.org/pdf/1923/May-02/May-02-1923-05.pdf#search=%22district%20nursing%20association%22

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 November 23 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, JenB. That information is very useful. If she was in an elected post, I wonder if that suggests it was voluntary and not paid. And I wonder if it also suggests she was not a trained nurse herself. I am also thinking that it is significant whether it was the Gainford and District Nursing Society, as written in some sources, or the Gainford District Nursing Society, which would be a wholly different thing. Thanks you very much.
Kent. Spendiff

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 November 23 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure it was voluntary and that the ladies on the various District Nursing Committees were there to mainly organise fund-raising events in support of the work of the District nurses.
If you go to the Teesdale Mercury archive advanced search http://www.teesdalemercuryarchive.org.uk/tm-archive/advanced-search# and enter 'district nursing association' in the second box down ('this exact wording or phrase') you will get a multitude of hits which you can read to give you a sense of what these committees got up to.

Here's a good Gainford example in 1917, in which your Jane Adamson was involved (she's almost invariably referred to as Mrs E C Adamson) http://teesdalemercuryarchive.org/pdf/1917/May-09/May-09-1917-05.pdf#search=%22adamson%20nursing%20association%22

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 November 23 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again. that is very helpful. That archive is a wonderful resource.
Kent. Spendiff

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 November 23 12:02 GMT (UK) »

I am currently researching Jane Ann Adamson (nee Dawson) of Gainford, near Darlington in County Durham, who lived between 1870 and 1952.

The 1939 register suggests that she was born in 1875, and she died in 1953, obituary here

http://teesdalemercuryarchive.org/pdf/1953/January-28/January-28-1953-03.pdf#search=%22adamson%22