Author Topic: Need help locating my 7th ggf Alexander MackIntosh of Moray  (Read 206 times)

Offline calicomist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help locating my 7th ggf Alexander MackIntosh of Moray
« on: Tuesday 21 November 23 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi-
   I need help locating my 7th great grandfather Alexander MackIntosh of Moray and where he fits in the MackIntosh family tree, namely who is parents were. He married Isabelle Duff, daughter of William Duff, Earl of Fife, of Banff. William Duff eventually ended up owning Bervie Castle, which was sold by my great grandfather MackIntosh in the early 1700's.
    Actually, I'm not sure if the Alexander MackIntosh who sold Blervie Castle is the same Alexander MackIntosh as my 7th ggf, who married Isabelle Duff.  Alexander is a common name. Their children were named William, Lachlan, and on, so that's no help except pinpointing which clan he probably came from. Which MackIntosh was his parent and how he fits into the MackIntosh family tree is what I want to find out.
    My 7th ggparents had about 20 children. They emigrated to America and supposedly he died in Virginia about 1750. BUT there is an Alexander MackIntosh on the rolls of volunteers who fought in the Battle of Culloden and who is listed as a tax man in the county where Moray is located. Makes sense that he would have died about the time the Battle of Culloden ended. It also makes sense that he would have a castle to sell. county taxes and all. But are they the same man?
    I'm wondering if my 7th ggf came to America, then returned to fight in the Battle of Culloden. Whether he returned and died in American from his wounds, who knows. Or maybe he didn't return to America. Perhaps he was once a tax man but wasn't at that time.
    My 6th great grandmother and Alexander's daughter with Isabelle, Rachel (MacIntosh) Tanner, was born in Virginia around 1738. The "k" has been dropped from the name in America.
    Lachlan MacIntosh who lived in Georgia in America wished to return to Scotland and fight in the Battle of Culloden, but was talked out of it by encouraging him to stay and fight for his new home, Georgia. He ended up serving with distinction in the American Revolutionary War as a general for America.
    Can anyone help?? Thank you!  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Need help locating my 7th ggf Alexander MackIntosh of Moray
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 November 23 19:26 GMT (UK) »
There's https://thepeerage.com/p18017.htm#i180161 but it doesn't suggest who Alexander's parents are.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 November 23 20:37 GMT (UK) »
The name of the estate and castle is Blervie, rather than Bervie. You will find a list of Alexander's children here:

https://archive.org/details/bookofduffs01tayl/page/n237/mode/2up?q=blervie

Offline calicomist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 November 23 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Since I posted this, I found that Lachlan MacIntosh, 2nd of Borlum was his father in the book  "Borlum Branch, With Offshoot of Raigmore: Historical Memoirs of the House and Clan of Mackintosh and of the Clan Chattan"  by Mackintosh-Shaw, Alexander (published in 1880) in the National Library of Scotland (online).

I was looking in the wrong place and  also looking for "MacIntosh" when he spelled his name "with a k - "MackIntosh."

I also found his name on a list of volunteers who fought in the Battle of Culloden. I wasn't sure this was the same man until I found this book.

Offline calicomist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 November 23 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! My great grandmother is Rachel.