Author Topic: FindMyPast civil birth searches  (Read 1205 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FindMyPast civil birth searches
« on: Tuesday 21 November 23 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I have just tried doing a civil bvirth search on FindMyPast, onlyt to find that the monter's maiden name is no longer shown, instead there is a link to find the mother's marriage which returns page after page of hits. This is a completely useless and wholly counter-productive change. Whoever thought this was a good idea, without trying to be unduly rude, has fewer brain cells than a blade of grass and clearly not someone who is a dedicated researcher.  >:( >:(   Has anyone else hit this issue?
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FindMyPast civil birth searches
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I think that must be a coding issue. It makes no sense to have a button “you have found X’s mother” that then takes you to - in the example I tried - 458 possible mothers, some of whom are men 😀

However, maiden names of mother’s are readily found on the GRO indexes.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 22:33 GMT (UK) »
But that's my point. The GRO search has to be made in a specific year plus or minus two years, that is a five year span. If I want to look at all births for a specific name for any greater period, I use (or used to use) FindMyPast. The search quickly allowed me to exclude obvious people who didn't fit my research and focus quickly on those I needed. Using the GRO index also did not always give a maiden name (after about 1927?) whereas FindMyPast did. These changes make life so much more difficult.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 22:58 GMT (UK) »
www.freebmd.org.uk shows mmn for births from the Sept qtr 1911 onwards

Any years prior to that are available on GRO online but only on a 2yrs +- basis

The type of search you appear to want is available on Ancestry using the birth index 1916-2005

I just used surname Abbott with mmn Smith & it turned up 559 matches.  Obviously this would reduce if you were looking on a County basis - using Lancashire reduces it to 64
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 23:06 GMT (UK) »
The births I'm looking at are pre-1916. A big problem is the family I'm looking at are mobile, appearing in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness, London (various boroughs) and Leeds. They are also Jewish, so their surnames sometimes change or are mis-transcribed. Using Scotland's People is another ... nightmare. So anything that slows down the reseach process is really frustrating. I'm rapidly losing what is left of my hair ....

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I've just tried several pre 1917 civil birth searches on FindMyPast and mine come up showing a mmn  :-\

CD

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I've tried several searches and just come up with the result shown in the attached image ...

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Mine is showing the marriage link but also the maiden name. You click on the magnifying glass symbol next to the MMN  and it links to the suggested mother and her potential marriage.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 07:36 GMT (UK) »
I have just tried doing a civil bvirth search on FindMyPast, onlyt to find that the monter's maiden name is no longer shown, instead there is a link to find the mother's marriage which returns page after page of hits.

I have just tried a search. I am finding mmn IS shown. The only difference is that it is now hyperlinked to a search for marriages between persons with the surname of the child and persons with the maiden surname. If they are common names there could be a lot of them, and it wouldn' distinguish between names which appear on same page and actual couples
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott