Author Topic: Till Family - Atherstone area  (Read 488 times)

Online Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Till Family - Atherstone area
« on: Tuesday 21 November 23 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Till was my x3 great grandmother, she was born at Baxterley in 1853. Her parent's were William Till (1801-1884) and Millicent Hands (1812-1895).

I've never been able to verify it but I think William's parents were Thomas Till (c. 1766-1847) and Anne Shilton (c. 1775-1856). I know quite a bit about the Shilton family but nothing of the Till family from that point on.

So two things I'd like to do/know
  • Can we verify William's parents? If so, how?
  • Any information on the Till family from Thomas backwards

Thomas' children were mostly baptised at Baddesley Ensor if that helps. Either the records are incomplete, ineligible or whatever for 1801 but I've never found a baptism for William. That area is quite small, so making an assumption is reasonable but I feel uncomfortable making links without evidence.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Till Family - Atherstone area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 09:11 GMT (UK) »
I notice that on the 1851, 1871 and 1881 census William says he was born Grendon, Warwickshire, though Baddesley Ensor in the 1861. Of course, they are very close.

Also he was a widower when he married Milicent HANDS in 1835. Do you have his earlier marriage?

Modified to add:
Seems like he married Sarah BATES in Mancetter on 26 Jan 1826. I see children Rowland and Thomas with William in various census, and they have Sarah BATES as their mother when baptised.

Shame the witnesses at both marriages are not of his family.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 November 23 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I know it's abit vague but I'd look at their children's names.
William and Sarah married 1825
Rowland 1828 -named after possible uncle ,father's brother
Thomas born 6.2.1829 bapot Indep chapel 4.4.1830- named after possible father's father.
Frances Ann 9.3.1831 at Independent chapel - named after mother's mother Ann  and sister Frances

William and Millicent
Hannah Maria 92.1842
Mary Ann 1851- Millicent's mother Mary
Elizabeth 1853  after Millicent's sister.

Thomas and Ann Shelton married 24.8.1795 .He is described as an Officer of Excise
She is of Grendon.
Children
Eliza 4.8.1796
  William  1801
Elizabeth 19.4.1804
Benjamin James 5.11.1806 Non Conf
Anne 13.1/28.1 1810 same after Mother
Rowland 4.6/12.7.1814 NC
Thomas 22.3./23.3.1817 NC after Dad
Thomas 3.1./31.1. 1819 NC

So with 2 Rowlands a very unusual name I think you are right and they are William's parents.
Thomas's previous job as excise officer may help find some more records on him.The Tills don't seem to be from BE.

Ciderdrinker

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 23 02:27 GMT (UK) »
I noticed the Rowland naming too, though it would probably be a good idea to eliminate other siblings of Thomas TILL as possible father of William. Would seem to definitely be a connection.

Online Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I know it's abit vague but I'd look at their children's names.
William and Sarah married 1825
Rowland 1828 -named after possible uncle ,father's brother
Thomas born 6.2.1829 bapot Indep chapel 4.4.1830- named after possible father's father.
Frances Ann 9.3.1831 at Independent chapel - named after mother's mother Ann  and sister Frances

William and Millicent
Hannah Maria 92.1842
Mary Ann 1851- Millicent's mother Mary
Elizabeth 1853  after Millicent's sister.

Thomas and Ann Shelton married 24.8.1795 .He is described as an Officer of Excise
She is of Grendon.
Children
Eliza 4.8.1796
  William  1801
Elizabeth 19.4.1804
Benjamin James 5.11.1806 Non Conf
Anne 13.1/28.1 1810 same after Mother
Rowland 4.6/12.7.1814 NC
Thomas 22.3./23.3.1817 NC after Dad
Thomas 3.1./31.1. 1819 NC

So with 2 Rowlands a very unusual name I think you are right and they are William's parents.
Thomas's previous job as excise officer may help find some more records on him.The Tills don't seem to be from BE.

Ciderdrinker

I noticed the Rowland naming too, though it would probably be a good idea to eliminate other siblings of Thomas TILL as possible father of William. Would seem to definitely be a connection.

Thank you both, as you've both identified, Thomas and William both had son's called Thomas and Rowland. William's daughter Elizabeth and son Thomas also both had children called Rowland and Thomas.

I can't really find any other TILL family in the BE area at that time, so I guess this lends credence to the theory. Not sure if records on Officer's of Excise are available from that time - or how to find them (I actually had to look up the meaning!)

Anyway, I've found a lot people with the surname TILL in Staffordshire in the 1750s. However, in the 1841 census his birthplace is listed as Warwickshire, though I'm not sure how reliable this would be (just looks like they were all ticked regardless at that time lol)

Thanks for looking anyway both - Rowland is also in my name, so holds some significance to me.

Online Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 December 23 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Ok so, Anne Till married David Coleman on 27th Feb 1832 at Nuneaton. Witnesses were William and Sarah Till (Sarah being William's wife at the time). I haven't found any other TILL family members nearby, so given this new evidence, I think I'm happy to confirm Thomas Till as William's dad.

Still no idea where Thomas Till was from, that may be a mystery I never solve. :(

Online Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 December 23 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Anne's son Daniel Coleman is also living with William and Millicent in the 1861 census