Author Topic: Classmates 1920s Fullham  (Read 316 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Classmates 1920s Fullham
« on: Wednesday 22 November 23 18:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm posting this on the off chance that someone may recognise someone - along shot I know! The photograph was in kept by my m-i-l. She is not on the photograph as I think she probably took the snap.
 Working out her age and the rough age of the girls on the photo I think it was probably taken in the mid 1920s. I don't know the name of the school but she lived in Fulham at the time. There are  names of the girls on the back of the photo which I have also attached

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Classmates 1920s Fullham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 23 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Are you sure your mother in law isn't amongst them?
There are 10 girls pictured and only 9 names!
Or is that a teacher in the top row on the right?

Here's a transcript of the names so that a Google search would find them.
I've checked the names against the 1921 Census, they are all born 1915/16 and resident in the Fulham area.

The first girl listed, Vera Vicary - well the handwritten name looks like something different  but with 3 Vera s in a group of friends, maybe it was a nickname. Vera Vicary was the only one I could find using the census.
The second girl, Vera Joyner, I couldn't find on the 1921 Census

Vera Vicary
Vera Joyner ?
Nora Acheson
Eileen Dawson
Gldys Haynes
Vera Sparkes (with hat)
Margery Baker
Gwen Baker (sisters)
Ida Tidder

Rebel

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 November 23 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Cockney Rebel - firstly for transcribing the names and for pointing out that there are 10 girls but only 9 names, I hadn't noticed that.

Looking again at the back of the phot I can see that there is the remains of a name right at the top of the list. Unfortunately it has been largely cut of to enable the phot to fit into a frame or album.  Using a magnifying glass I think it suggests that the name might be Eileen.

My Mother in law has written 'I took it' up the side of the photo so I'm pretty sure she isn't featured.

It was also a good idea to look them in the 1921 census - I hadn't thought of doing that either - must have been having an off day!! I will now check in public trees on Ancestry to see if any appear there.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 November 23 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Up the left it says "my form at school" so would she have been a teacher at that time?

When was she born if you don't mind me asking?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 November 23 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi - that's an interesting thought! But no,  Nancy was also a pupil. She was born in October 1914 and I think by the time that photo was taken she was probably living at  Charlwood Road so that fits with the information in the earlier post about the girls living in the Fulham area.
Thanks for your interest