Author Topic: English GRO Digital Images - Not for Marriages?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: English GRO Digital Images - Not for Marriages?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 November 23 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Am I correct that digital images are only available for births and deaths, but not for marriages?
Why is this?
Also, I wonder why is there a charge for English digital images, when BDM images are all freely available from the GRO in Ireland?

Depending on what year m/c you are looking for a lot of the Cof E (Anglican) parish marriage records are online - these are the same docs you would actually pay for if you were buying them from the GRO.  Therefore sometimes you get lucky.

CD

That may be so, but it is of no use to me.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: English GRO Digital Images - Not for Marriages?
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 November 23 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I went to many meetings with GRO at the time the on-line index and the pdf downloads were introduced (in 2016), so the lack of marriage digitisation was a topic that came up a lot then and they are well aware that it needs to be done.

As far as I remember, the issue is just really one of money - the provision of historical records is only a very small part of their role and most of their resources are used for running the current systems for registration, so the historic side gets a very small proportion of their funding.

This is compounded by not being allowed (by law, as a government dept.) to set charges at a level that would make a profit - they are only supposed to cover the costs and so they can't generate the money needed themselves.

The subject came up again during the trial phases of the digital download system that has just gone live, and now they are currently running some "focus group" type exercises with GRO users looking at developing their future services ( I was interviewed only a few weeks ago), so they still keep getting reminded.

Fingers crossed it will happen.