Author Topic: When did the Format of Death Registrations Change?  (Read 724 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
When did the Format of Death Registrations Change?
« on: Thursday 23 November 23 00:36 GMT (UK) »
As we are usually painfully aware, historic death registrations were sparse affairs, with such minimal information that it is all too often unclear if it is the correct person, or not.
Modern death registrations, however, are quite different, requiring DOB and place of birth, parents names, name of spouse, etc.

So, when was this change made?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: When did the Format of Death Registrations Change?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 November 23 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Certainly had changed by 2014, see S.I. No. 371/2014 - Civil Registration (Certified Extract of Register of Deaths) Regulations 2014, this refers to additional details including place of birth of deceased, the act refers back to a 2004 act which may have been when the alterations kicked in : Civil Registration Act 2004

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 November 23 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Certainly had changed by 2014, see S.I. No. 371/2014 - Civil Registration (Certified Extract of Register of Deaths) Regulations 2014, this refers to additional details including place of birth of deceased, the act refers back to a 2004 act which may have been when the alterations kicked in : Civil Registration Act 2004

Well, I can say that most of the changes must predate 2012, as I have a 2012 registration with the modern format.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 November 23 09:43 GMT (UK) »
a closer look through that 2004 shows a list of the updated fields - 2004 Act Deaths

There are also various references throughout to the 1863 acts and later revisions

"AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE REORGANISATION, MODERNISATION AND NAMING OF THE SYSTEM (TO BE KNOWN AS THE CIVIL REGISTRATION SERVICE OR, IN THE IRISH LANGUAGE, AN tSEIRBHÍS UM CHLÁRÚ SIBHIALTA) OF REGISTRATION OF BIRTHS, STILLBIRTHS, ADOPTIONS, MARRIAGES AND DEATHS (INCLUDING CERTAIN BIRTHS AND DEATHS OCCURRING OUTSIDE THE STATE), TO PROVIDE FOR THE EXTENSION OF THE SYSTEM TO DECREES OF DIVORCE AND DECREES OF NULLITY OF MARRIAGE AND FOR THOSE PURPOSES TO REVISE THE LAW RELATING TO THE SYSTEM, TO AMEND THE LAW RELATING TO MARRIAGES AND TO PROVIDE FOR RELATED MATTERS. [27th February, 2004]"

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 November 23 09:49 GMT (UK) »
a closer look through that 2004 shows a list of the updated fields - 2004 Act Deaths

There are also various references throughout to the 1863 acts and later revisions

"AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE REORGANISATION, MODERNISATION AND NAMING OF THE SYSTEM (TO BE KNOWN AS THE CIVIL REGISTRATION SERVICE OR, IN THE IRISH LANGUAGE, AN tSEIRBHÍS UM CHLÁRÚ SIBHIALTA) OF REGISTRATION OF BIRTHS, STILLBIRTHS, ADOPTIONS, MARRIAGES AND DEATHS (INCLUDING CERTAIN BIRTHS AND DEATHS OCCURRING OUTSIDE THE STATE), TO PROVIDE FOR THE EXTENSION OF THE SYSTEM TO DECREES OF DIVORCE AND DECREES OF NULLITY OF MARRIAGE AND FOR THOSE PURPOSES TO REVISE THE LAW RELATING TO THE SYSTEM, TO AMEND THE LAW RELATING TO MARRIAGES AND TO PROVIDE FOR RELATED MATTERS. [27th February, 2004]"

Yes, it was the 2004 Act, thanks. Lots of repeals in that Act - the original 1844 and 1863 Acts and many others totally rpealled.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 November 23 11:18 GMT (UK) »

Note that this legislation (above) is for the Republic of Ireland.

Northern Ireland had its own legislation in 1976 - The Births and Deaths Registration (Northern Ireland) Order 1976, Article 38.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisi/1976/1041/contents

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 November 23 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Looks like it took a while for the 2004 Act to take effect, I have my father’s death cert from 2005, no parents named or DOB.
Issued in pursuance of the Births and Deaths Registration Acts 1863 to 1996.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 November 23 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Looks like it took a while for the 2004 Act to take effect, I have my father’s death cert from 2005, no parents named or DOB.
Issued in pursuance of the Births and Deaths Registration Acts 1863 to 1996.

It appears the 2004 Civil Registration Act was brought into operation on the 5th December 2005, under the following SI
https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2005/si/764/made/en/print

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 March 24 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I agree it took a while to kick in.
I had grandparents die in 2007 and 2009. The former does not have this info, the latter does.
My mother registered the second death and was asked for the additional details, which she gave. She asked, because she knew I'd want to know, what would happen if someone didn't have that info. It was then left blank.
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire