Author Topic: Marguerite Lavigne wife of William Doucet in New Brunswick  (Read 519 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marguerite Lavigne wife of William Doucet in New Brunswick
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Delima (Lina/Lena) Doucet, daughter of William Doucet and Marguerite Lavigne, married Albert Jay 13 July 1919 at St Joseph de la Riviere Bleue Quebec.

Margaret appears to be with Albert and Lena in the 1931 Census of Plaster Rock Village NB

Albert Jay Head 38 b. Ont.
Lena Jay Wife 35 b. NB
Nora Jay daur 11 b. Que.
Hayward Jay son 9 b. Que.
Velma Jay daur 8 b. NB
Margaret Ducet (as written) mother-in-law 76 b. NB
Henry .?… a Lodger

This looks like the death of Margaret. Father’s name not given as Lavigne though?

Margaret Doucette of Plaster Rock NB
Died 06 Feb 1933
Birth given as 23 Nov 1854
Widow
Father .?... LeBlanc (my read)
Mother .?… Diotte (I think)
Informant Albert Jay of Plaster Rock son-in-law
Burial in the RC Cemetery in Plaster Rock

Find a Grave apparently has her as Margaret Lepine Doucette buried in St Thomas Aquinas Catholic Cemetery in Plaster Rock.

This info with images can all be found on Ancestry.

Anyway, food for thought. Perhaps someone can find a newspaper notice of the death?

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline MartinGoyette23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 December 23 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Delima (Lina/Lena) Doucet, daughter of William Doucet and Marguerite Lavigne, married Albert Jay 13 July 1919 at St Joseph de la Riviere Bleue Quebec.

Margaret appears to be with Albert and Lena in the 1931 Census of Plaster Rock Village NB

Albert Jay Head 38 b. Ont.
Lena Jay Wife 35 b. NB
Nora Jay daur 11 b. Que.
Hayward Jay son 9 b. Que.
Velma Jay daur 8 b. NB
Margaret Ducet (as written) mother-in-law 76 b. NB
Henry .?… a Lodger

This looks like the death of Margaret. Father’s name not given as Lavigne though?

Margaret Doucette of Plaster Rock NB
Died 06 Feb 1933
Birth given as 23 Nov 1854
Widow
Father .?... LeBlanc (my read)
Mother .?… Diotte (I think)
Informant Albert Jay of Plaster Rock son-in-law
Burial in the RC Cemetery in Plaster Rock

Find a Grave apparently has her as Margaret Lepine Doucette buried in St Thomas Aquinas Catholic Cemetery in Plaster Rock.

This info with images can all be found on Ancestry.

Anyway, food for thought. Perhaps someone can find a newspaper notice of the death?

PB

Hi polarbear,

Thank you for the information and for finding what I think is her death certificate. Except for her late husband's family name and her date of birth, nothing seems to match. There were no Leblanc families that lived in Bathurst in 1871 and 1881 and I have never seen the family name Liotte or Diotte.

I went through all of the 1871 and 1881 censuses and found four possible Marguerite/Margaret Lavigne:

The daughter of John Lavigne
The daughter of James Lavigne
The daughter of Edward Lavigne
The daughter of Tranquille Lavigne

I believe to have found her father to be Tranquille Lavigne by process of elimination (unless someone finds evidence of the contrary) since:

The daughter of John Lavigne is most probably the one who married Paul/Napoleon Auclair/O'Claire in 1882 (John is the only one who has a daughter named Caroline and a Caroline Lavigne is a present at her wedding)

The daughter of James Lavigne is the the one who married Narcisse Lavigne in 1876 (confirmed by her death certificate of 1931)

The daughter of Edward Lavigne is still not married in 1881 and lives with her parents

Which only leaves the daughter of Tranquille.

Thanks again,

Martin

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Was looking for Lavigne who used variations of the name Lena/Lina/Delina, etc. in case they were siblings...& found this family where it unfortunately looks as though Tranquill's Margaret has also been claimed. Tree says she was born 1 April 1854.  I'd not bank on all results to be accurate, as so much information is missing. PolarBear's find also shows that sadly, even information on documents can be inaccurate.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/LVY9-DCM
  1901 she says birth 28 Dec 1853  ...Online tree has her birth as 21 Nov 1854
  https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lavigne-379
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline MartinGoyette23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 December 23 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Was looking for Lavigne who used variations of the name Lena/Lina/Delina, etc. in case they were siblings...& found this family where it unfortunately looks as though Tranquill's Margaret has also been claimed. Tree says she was born 1 April 1854.  I'd not bank on all results to be accurate, as so much information is missing. PolarBear's find also shows that sadly, even information on documents can be inaccurate.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/LVY9-DCM
  1901 she says birth 28 Dec 1853  ...Online tree has her birth as 21 Nov 1854
  https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lavigne-379

Hi J.J.,

The FamilySearch family tree has her married to Paul O'Clair and, even though they have 24 sources, none of them prove that she is the daughter of Tranquille. Unless someone finds the death record, naturalization record or any other record of the Margaret/Marguerite Lavigne who married Paul O'Clair and it says that she is the daughter of Tranquille, I wouldn't rely on family trees, since I have found many mistakes in them on this site (and others).

In my previous post, I also explained how I believe that the Marguerite Lavigne who married Paul O'Clair is most probably the daughter of John Lavigne. I could be wrong, but I haven't found evidence to the contrary.

Thank you for answering,

Martin